Author Topic: Crew List Look-up request @ National Archives, Kew - VOLUSIA  (Read 2016 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Crew List Look-up request @ National Archives, Kew - VOLUSIA
« on: Saturday 20 June 15 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I have been researching my seafaring ancestors again, and have come across some new information that I would love to investigate further.

I have a fairly detailed record of my rellie John Lancefield's career as a master mariner up to 1838 when he was Captain of the David Morrice, which was wrecked on 10th May 1838, en route from Jamaica. He and the crew were saved and he returned to London.

I know that he married in London on 4th July 1838 to Eliza Clayton, and I knew that he returned to sea shortly afterwards, but have never been able to figure out on which ship  ::)

He died sometime between the 1841 census (where he is living in Three Oak Lane, St John, Horsleydown, Southwark, Surrey with his occupation listed as 'Navy') and the 1851 census when his wife Eliza is at the same address and is listed as a widowed school mistress.

I have just found his BT112/40 entry which finally has given me another ships name!!!

As I read it, he is listed as the mate aboard the Volusia, voyage date 8.8.1839, following his stint as Captain aboard the David Morris/Morrice. The Volusia appears to be shipping from London (port code 64), and I have checked the Lloyd's Registers for this year. He should be sailing under Captain J Raffells/Ruffell, between London & Jamaica.

What I was hoping was that SKS could check the crew lists for me?

I can see that what remains of her crew lists should be available at the National Archives, Kew as below:

Reference: BT 98/383
Description: Port of Registry: London Ships Names: U-V
Date: 1835-1844
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record

I realise that it is a big ask, but as I am in Australia I won't be able to pop in myself anytime soon. I would be very interested to know how long he stayed aboard the Volusia, and indeed if he died aboard her, though if he did it would have to be after 1841 (as per the census). I searched a bit on the vessel and she appears to have been wrecked as per the newspaper article below:

Caledonian Mercury - 28 Sept 1848
Belize Aug 12 – The Volusia, Finlayson, from Truxillo, was lost on Barburat in the night of the 1st inst.; the vessel is reported to be bilged and full of water.

She disappears from the Lloyd's registers after this event.

Any assistance at Kew would be great, got all my fingers crossed that a crew list or two has survived  ;)

Thanks so much

Jenny

Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Crew List Look-up request @ National Archives, Kew - VOLUSIA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
 I was at the National Archive today. I had an hour or so to spare and looked up the Crew Agreements of VOLUSIA
I found your man as mate. It looks as though he was a late replacement, signing on in London 13Th December 1838. He was discharged in London on 8/August 1839. Together with her Captain. There is no mention of them in later crew agreements.
Andrew Finlayson seems to have taken over as master and her subsequent voyages were nearly all to Quebec.
I tried to get you a proper photocopied copy of the relevant Crew Agreement but unfortunately I copped for the Work Experience kid so we will have to see what they send.
I have attached a photograph of part the Crew Agreement.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Crew List Look-up request @ National Archives, Kew - VOLUSIA
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
Oh Seaweed!!! You are an absolute gem  ;D  ;D  ;D

What a lovely surprise, thank you so much for thinking of me while you were at Kew.
This is another piece of the puzzle slotting into place!

As you mention he was not on any other crew lists for the Volusia, I wonder whether he went to whichever ship the Captain went to? He has a long history of shipping to and from Jamaica, and possibly had an illegitimate son there....so I wonder if when the word came that the ship would be sailing to and from Quebec he went looking for another job that would get him to Jamaica....

Can't wait to see what the work experience kid sends through...PM me if something arrives ;)

I cannot thank you enough!

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill