Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 1984 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Here we go again
« on: Sunday 21 June 15 16:09 BST (UK) »
Just trying to tie in a loose end on the Cravens of Alnwick.  I have all the information on John (b. abt 1777 Wakefield), his wife Elizabeth Lindores (b. abt 1780 Kelso), including the names, dobs of their 10 children.  However, I am lacking any further information on Mary Ann, b. Alnwick abt 1816 (bap 11 Oct 1816).  As two of her siblings (Isabella Charlotte and Frances) had irregular marriages ( to Wm Ferguson and Adam Gibson respectively), I wonder if the same pertains to Mary Ann.  Is there any way I can find "registers" of irregular marriages, or would - by amazing chance - anyone have any info on this lady, please? ???
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Michellecooper67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 20 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new here. Was adopted and Elizabeth Lindores and John Craven were my 4th grt grandparents. I'm stuck with Elizabeth, were you able to find who her parents were? I'm in California so only able to do internet research. Weird that I can't find any birth record. Thanks so much.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 20 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I remember coming across a baptism in 1864 when I was carrying out my own research in the Alnwick area. The baptism was :-

John Craven Robinson, baptised 10th August 1864; father Henry Robinson, mother Mary Ann

Although the baptism was in 1864, John Craven Robinson was actually born in 1853 with his birth being registered in the first quarter (Alnwick District).

The 1861 Census for Alnwick shows Mary Ann as the head of the household and her children are listed including John Craven Robinson. I feel that this could be her and she used her maiden name as the second Christian name for her son.

This link will take you to the transcription of his baptism as shown on Freereg

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818c4ebe93790ec8b21e823/john-craven-robinson-baptism-northumberland-alnwick-1864-08-10?locale=en

This link will take you to the actual baptism register entry as per Familysearch.org

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DR2S-XL1?i=1447&wc=9K59-SPD%3A13617901%2C13694801%2C13694802&cc=1309819

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Whoa!!  This first post was 5 years ago!!  Michelle, you and I have just started to 'talk' over the past 2 days and I have sent you a raft of stuff on the Cravens.  AllanUK: I have all the information on Mary Ann now - and yes, she married Henry and John Craven was one of 6 children - 4 sons and 2 daughters.  There is still no marriage record so I believe it was an 'irregular marriage' at Lamberton Toll like her 2 sisters.  Not sure who you are researching in Alnwick but if I can help YOU at all let me know.  Thanks for thinking of me, anyway! 
Stay safe.

Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Apologies Lydiaann, I hadn't picked up that your original post was 2015.

Best wishes

Offline Michellecooper67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 20 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Elizabeth is still a mystery. I'll keep persevering. Merry Christmas everyone!