Author Topic: Is there a 1901 Census for inmates of the Lurgan Workhouse?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a 1901 Census for inmates of the Lurgan Workhouse?
« on: Sunday 21 June 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a death certificate for my great grandfather David Lyness (Lynas) who died in the Lurgan Workhouse at 71 years old from Senile Dementia. The record shows he was married at the time but I cannot find a 1901 census for him anywhere. His death was in May 1907. Was there a census done for the inmates of the workhouse if they were patients there. This leaves me to find his wife Elizabeth in any number of 1901 censuses but not sure which one she is. Their children would long be married with families of their own.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a 1901 Census for inmates of the Lurgan Workhouse?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Inmates of Workhouses are recorded by initials, knowing his county of origin and age it might still be possible to find him.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/records/census.shtml

"The 1901 and 1911 censuses for Ireland are available online and free at the Irish National Archives. The entries for workhouse inmates, however, are recorded only as initials. To find workhouse officers, try using the census website's More Search Options facility and put Workhouse Master (or even just Workhouse) in the Occupation box."

I just tried this option and could not seem to find David Lynas. I tried the search terms, inmate, workhouse.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
The last address I had for the family was 4 Mary Street, Portadown. They were there for a number of years prior.

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 15 17:33 BST (UK) »
They had used the surname spelled Lyness on his death certificate from there. Would that help?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 June 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
This could be Elizabeth aged 67, a housekeeper, married at 11 Mary Street, Portadown, Armagh with a grand child Elizabeth Kidd aged 2 years.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Portadown_Urban/Mary_Street/1030009/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Jmama

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 15 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your kind response and assistance. The 1901 census for Elizabeth is correct and is what I was leaning towards. I don't know where else to look for David Lyness/Lynas/Lyines. I will make note of the Lurgan Workhouse address for reference.

Kindly ,Jmama

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot