Author Topic: Harry Harvey Turton served in WW1 poss in the 19th or 21st London Regiment  (Read 1280 times)

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to find some details of my Great Grandfathers Army service, but I only have a few details that have been given to me by an elderly relative and so far can't find any recorsd or details.

His name was Harry Harvey Turton born in 1886 in Camberwell Surrey. Died 21 Dec 1936 in Battersea, London cause of death thrombosis

I have been told that he served in WW1, he served in the Hampshire area but didn't leave the UK or see active service, he was sometihng to do with working in the 'stores'. He evidently had a problem with his foot so couldn't march properly or able to walk in the trenches. It is thought he could possibly have served in the 19th or 21st London Regiments. These details have been given to me by his Granddaughter who remembers her mother going to the British Legion Christmas dinners because of her fathers service.

Would be very grateful if anybody could suggest where to look to try and locate any details regarding to his time served in the army.

Many thanks

Heather

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Harvey Turton served in WW1 poss in the 19th or 21st London Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is no medal roll index record for him.  Did he possibly serve as a civilian rather than an enlisted person?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
There's a Harry Turton London Regiment on Silver war badge rolls enlisted 15 discharged 17 with wounds...States 1st London Regiment but he has a Territorial six digit number maybe your man...granted it doesn't fit in with no overseas deployment

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

Possibly, haven't been able to find anything only going by family memories

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady

I'll a look, but as far as I've been told he never left the country and actually got his meals at a relatives house near by.........

You mention Territorial six digit number, not sure of the difference between the numbers.

Thanks

Heather

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 June 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
There's also a Harry Turton in the Royal Defence Corps (sort of ww1 home guard) looks to have London ties entitled to silver war badge he was discharged to pension sick.He didn't serve overseas.
Ignore my last about territorial numbers it will only confuse things and not relevant at moment.London Regiment were all Territorial soldiers.
The guy above was 39 in 1919 or thereabouts looks to have joined up in 1900 so possibly again not your man.Any photos?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.