Author Topic: Thomas Horlock & Thomas Horlick - one in the same?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Horlock & Thomas Horlick - one in the same?
« on: Sunday 21 June 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to track the Horlock line of my family and wondered if someone could shed some light on this problem I'm having...

My great great great grandfather Thomas Horlock, is noted in the 1851 & 1861 censuses as being aged 70 & 78 respectively. Using this information I'm assuming a birth year of around 1781-1783 so I searched through Edward Alexander Fry's Register of Stourpaine which is available on the Dorset OPC website.

Using these notes I've found a Thomas Horlick that was the son of Henerey and Jean Horlick who was baptised on August 2, 1781. As I can't find anyone with the surname Horlick in the censuses from 1841 through to 1901 for Stourpaine, I was wondering if it was safe to assume that this Thomas Horlick is infact my great great great grandfather Thomas Horlock?

Cheers,
Mario

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Horlock & Thomas Horlick - one in the same?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
I would be fairly confident that this is the same man, particularly as his place of birth in the censuses is given as Stourpaine. More important than the lack of a Thomas Horlick on the 1841 census (which could mean all sorts of things: death; emigration; mistake) is the lack of a burial for a Thomas Horlock until yours in 1863.

Your Thomas is in the 1841 census aged 55-59 (but indexed as Harbot), with his daughter Charlotte (HO107/277/15).

The Stourpaine registers have a long line of children born to Thomas and Jane starting in 1811 which includes Charlotte (1824). There are two baptisms (1807 & 1808) for this couple in nearby Pimperne and the banns of marriage in 1806 between Thomas Horlock and Jane Jackson describe him as of Stourpaine and her of Pimperne.

I noticed in passing that a Henry Horlock of Pimperne, a shepherd, left a will when he died in 1809, but it only mentions his brother, Thomas, and a daughter Elizabeth, the wife of John Witmarsh; but no son, so probably isn't your Henry.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Richard,

Thank you very much for the reply and the information that you have provided. As I have been working with information on the Dorset OPC website I haven't seen the actual banns of marriage for Thomas and Jane. The fact that it states that Thomas was from Stourpaine and Jane from Pimperne pretty much nailed it for me!

I'd worked out that Jane must have been from Pimperne from baptisimal records from that parish. There was an initial Jane baptised to John and Amy Jackson on 13 June 1784 but this child was buried on 10 October that same year. A second Jane was born to the same parents and then baptised on 25 September 1785.

As I'm now almost certain that Thomas Horlick is my great great great grandfather Thomas Horlock, I can trace a family line through Edward Fry's "The Register of Stourpaine" back to the baptism of Richard Courage alias Gold, son of John and Elizabeth, on 12 August, 1642. Very exciting!

Thank you once again,

Cheers,
Mario

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 17 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Thomas Budden who worked for a Henry Horlock- shepherd in Pimperne- from 1805 to 1811. A Deed of Settlement signed by Thomas Budden in 1832 refers to Henry Horlock being a shepherd in Pimperne who employed Thomas Budden as a young lad from 1805 to 1811.
I am trying to build a picture and wondered if you are able to give me any background re this Henry Horlock. The Deed of settlement states that Henry Horlock was paying young Thomas between 3 and 4 guineas a year plus board and lodging in the house.
Any help would be appreciated.
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

Unfortunately, the two Henry Horlocks in my family tree were born and lived in Stourpaine, not Pimperne.

Sorry I can't be of any more use...

Cheers,
Mario

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 March 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear- never mind :(
Thank you

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)