Author Topic: John Wigley  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wigley
« on: Monday 22 June 15 01:30 BST (UK) »
Morning all, searching for a John Wigley born 1801 don't know what area he came from, his wife Mary Ann Smith also from Scotland they married in  St. Martins Birmingham England, they appear in the 1841 and 1851 census with family. They settled in District Ladywood the same place as my ancestor John Wigley born 1796 did, would love to find any connection if they are family or not. :-[

Janet ???

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wigley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 15 22:36 GMT (UK) »
John Wigley born Birmingham  ???

Name: John Wigley

Estimated birth year: about 1796

Head of house

Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Wigley

Where born: Birmingham

Registration district: Birmingham

Sub-registration district: Lady Wood

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 November 15 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello sancti great to receive your message the two John Wigley's may have been cousins, my John Wigley died in 1842 his wife was Harriett Porter her father was Nathaniel Porter. I have had a hard time in finding his baptism one search took me to Derbyshire a possibility ??? the fact they both settled in Ladywood was very exciting, even left a message in that area nothing as yet, thanking you so much for your help. :)

Janet ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Regarding your original query.

Can you please post details of the children of John & Mary Ann, names in order of birth as the Scottish naming pattern may have been used which may help to identify their parents?

Not sure from Sancti's post if he was meaning Mary Ann was also born in Birmingham?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:30 GMT (UK) »
What is Mary Ann's estimated birth yr please?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
With a window of 1801 - 1810 births for a Mary Ann Smith b Scotland

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gkv/

Names of kids may point to parents?

Annie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 15 08:08 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gkv/

Oh dear :( - and that's just the ones whose baptisms were actually recorded :( :(

Does the marriage record say what Mary's Ann's father's name and occupation were?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at the original of the 1851 census. It lists John Wigley, 55, Bronze maker, born Birmingham; wife Mary Ann, 48 born Birmingham, plus Henry, William, Mary, Caroline, John and George. No mention of Scotland. John's age suggests DoB in 1795/6; Mary's 1802/3.

In 1841, John is 40, and Mary (not Mary Ann) is 35, both born Scotland, plus Thomas, Henry, William, Mary and Caroline. John's age suggests DoB in 1796/1801; Mary's 1801/6.

So there must be some doubt over the birthplaces of John and Mary (Ann).  But at least the ages are consistent between censuses :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian I am not familiar with John and Mary Ann Wigley, I am trying to find another John Wigley who died in 1842 and married to Harriett Porter, the reason I posted this ancestor I thought that their maybe a family connection because they both lived in Ladywood Birmingham, I may never find out where he came from, all I know is that John Wigley's son George migrated to Australia with wife Ann and small children on board the vessel Netherby which was shipwrecked near Kings Island no lives were lost a truly great history. :)

Janet ;)