Author Topic: Wilson's of Portadown  (Read 5324 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson's of Portadown
« on: Monday 22 June 15 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Trying to find any information on a Wilson family from Portadown.  Thomas Wilson, my great grandfather emigrated to Manchester, CT to work in the Cheney Silk Mills in the 1880s.  He was born approximately 1860 ( January?).  He may have had a sister named Mary who married Richard Mclelland and lived in New Jersey and also possibly a brother George.  He had a nephew, James Wilson that he raised as a son from age 8 on.  Family story is James was orphaned and emigrated to live with Thomas and his wife (Isabelle Gilpin) in CT.

If anything sounds familiar with your research, I would appreciate your help.  Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's of Portadown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
When and where did Thomas Wilson marry? if Ireland then certificate should list father's name and occupation. If Connecticut then there will be more details on certificate.

Where did Thomas Wilson die? if it was in Connecticut then his death certificate would have spaces for names of both parents.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you...I'm not sure where Thomas married, I suspect CT but cannot located his marriage certificate.  Found his daughters (my grandmothers) but not a marriage certificate.  He died in Los Angeles and I have his death certificate...no parents listed unfortunately.
L

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 20:56 BST (UK) »
Many Wilsons in the area that is now part of Portadown but were separate townlands at the time. Is he the Thomas Wilson living with wife Isabella in the 1900 Census in Manchester?  Born November 1864, immigrated 1889, married 8 years, loom fixer by occupation? Children Ethel, Amanda, and No Name (daughter), born April 1900, aged 1 month?  This suggests that they were married in the US.

By 1910, he and his two daughters, Ethel & Amanda, are still in Manchester, but his wife is not listed with him, altho'  he is noted as married, and not widowed. In this census, it indicates he arrived in 1880. He is aged 45, so born about 1864/65 which is consistent.  Given that year of birth, the immigration date of 1889 is likely closer to reality.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 03:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes that is him.  My great grandmother Isabelle was institutionalized in 1904 until her death in 1915.  "No name" / Maude was sent to NJ and raised by an aunt and uncle after her mother was hospitalized.  I only show him in Manchester, CT, have found d Ethel's birth certificate (1892) but no marriage certificate for Thomas\Isabelle.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Richard and Mary (Gilpin) McClelland applied for a passport in 1925. Says she was born in Co. Armagh on February 14, 1860, but he gives more detailed info as being born on July 15, 1857 in Derryadd, and his father was John McClelland (now deceased). They were married December 25, 1895. They intended to visit Ireland for a period of three months to visit relatives.  Derryadd is a townland that is now part of Portadown and would have been part of the parish of Tartaraghan.

Richard returns from Ireland without Mary in 1928. He had sailed into Moville earlier that same year also without her, so she is likely deceased between the period of 1925-28. Don't know if there was a previous trip closer to the time of the issuance of the passport in 1925.

So, it would seem that she was Isabella's sister, and not Thomas'.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  This provides an answer I've been looking for for some time!

Laura

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
You mention a nephew, James, who was raised by Thomas. Have you found them in a census in the US? Particularly the 1920 census, as I have Thomas living with Amanda in the 1930 census in Los Angeles, but no sign of James.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, that is my Thomas in LA with his daughter.  He lived there after his retirement from the Cheney Silk Mill until his death in 1950.

By 1920, James was married and living in Manchester, CT.  He went by James B. Wilson, the "B", according to his grandson, was added to eliminate confusion from another James Wilson in town.  He was a postman and later died in 1963. 

I've never been able to determine exactly when he came to CT as he seems to have missed the census windows with the Wilson's.  His grandson told me he was orphaned and emigrated around 9 years old.  His WWI draft card puts his DOB as June 28, 1884, which would mean he emigrated around 1893 which is consistent with the census records.

Been trying to find Thomas' siblings as I assume James' father was Thomas' brother...

Thanks.
L