Author Topic: Seeking Husband of Grizel (Grace) Armstrong b. 1791  (Read 6124 times)

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Husband of Grizel (Grace) Armstrong b. 1791
« on: Monday 22 June 15 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Fellow Travelers of the Borderlands,

I will submit my query to you in the hopes that you can help me leap over a brick wall.

I have been working on finding Grizel's husband for 20+ hours and thought it might be time to ask for your help.

Here is her story:

Grizel (Grace) Armstrong is my 5x great grandmother, born at Holehouse, Canonbie
Born: 12 Oct 1791
Baptized: 13 Oct 1791
Parents: Francis Armstrong and Illian (Helen) Armstrong who were married 13 Mar 1785 - marriage date the only thing I am sure of, have a copy of the original

And now we skip all the way forward to the 1841 Census, where she is the head of the household, address at Neither (likely Nether) Hollows where she has children Helen (~1825), Francis (~1826) and Bridget (~1828) at home. This census lists her at Grisal and has her birth date many years off.

The 1851 census now lists her as Grace Armstrong living at Hollowshillgate. She remains the head of house, with the same three children still at home plus a new daughter Janet (~1830) and an unnamed infant listed as a granddaughter. There is such a large gap that it's entirely possible there are many more children.

Her children are all listed as Armstrong, and it is likely she married an Armstrong. Two names that I have followed without confirmation are Thomas and John Armstrong.

There were two Grizel Armstrong's born very close together in Canonbie in 1791. We are sure that the 12 Oct 1791 is correct.

I have many more details about her line as it moves closer to me, but I don't want to muddy the waters for now. I also have two theories about her grandparents and great grandparents, but that is for another day as well!

Any insight gratefully appreciated. I have some lovely recent photographs of the Canonbie Kirkyard and Canonbie area if anyone is interested. Happy to share.
Canonbie: Armstrong, Steel(e), Murray, Carruthers, Dickson, Little, Elliot

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Husband of Grizel (Grace) Armstrong b. 1791
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk have two deaths showing in Canonbie for Grace Armstrong born 1791 +/- 3 years.  One is in 1855 and the other 1870.  Locating the right one will confirm both Grizel/Grace's husband and parents, providing, of course they are known by the informant.

brigau

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
A Grizel Armstrong married a Thomas Armstrong 29/11/1816 Canonbie, Dumfries (per Ancestry Selected Marriages).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
just looking at that Annette  :) They also seem to be the only couple to have had a son, Francis in Canonbie

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
She is the Grace Armstrong who died in 1870 (29th December) - you can view the certificate on SP and this confirms she was widow of Thomas and that her parents were Francis and Helen.   Informant of death was son Francis.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
In that case here is the 1861 census.  Wasn't showing immediately because miraculously Ancestry have shaved 30 years from Grace's age!

Hollowhillsgate, Canonbie
Grace Armstrong 39 former labourer
Francis Armstrong son, 33 former labourer
Bridget Armstrong daughter, 31

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
Adding the 1841 census for Grace's parents: http://www.freecen.org.uk/

Neithe Hollows, Canonbie
Francis Armstrong 80 Clogger Pauper
Helen Armstrong 79
Jane Armstrong 35
Mary Elliot 7
All born Dumfries shire

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 03:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you brigau and Annette! Your work to track Thomas down is much appreciated!

I am going to pull this information together on the pedigree.

Can you advise how best I should search for our deceased Thomas? He would have died sometime between 1816 and 1841. No results for Thomas Armstrong pre 1855 burials between 1816 and 1841 on ScotsPeople.

Thank you again, you made my day! :)
Canonbie: Armstrong, Steel(e), Murray, Carruthers, Dickson, Little, Elliot

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
         On Scotlands People, there is a Thos Armstrong  who died 4 July 1829 at Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire.     Westerkirk is 6 miles North-West of Langholm, and Langholm is not far north of Canonbie.      On my map, that area NW of Langholm has the words "Clan Armstrong". which may have something to do with this Thos Armstrong dying there.    Also, I think there was a Westerkirk Church there.     The area is right next to the River Esk. 

If you try googles like "Old map from early 1800's of Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire" something may come up.     This death could be him but personally I would be looking for one or hopefully two other scraps of information to back it up.

P.S.   Not sure if there was a Westerkirk parish, and possibly a Westerkirk village as well.