Author Topic: Seeking Husband of Grizel (Grace) Armstrong b. 1791  (Read 6120 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Husband of Grizel (Grace) Armstrong b. 1791
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
Mona Lisa, you may find these websites useful:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scottish/D-GInscriptions.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/letsbikeit/sets/72157622608432658/

Here is a list of pre 1855 recorded Armstrong deaths in Canonbie.  As you can see, they cease after 1805. 

1784 Jul 12 William Armstrong
1785 Sep 30 Janet Armstrong
1785 Nov 2 Franci Armtrong
1786 Oct 28 Elizabeth Armstrong
1787 May1 Armstrong, father John Armstrong
1788 Oct 27 John Armstrong
1789 Jan 26 Jean Armstrong
1789 Jun 4 Janet Armstrong
1790 Jul 21 Andrew Armstrong
1790 Jul 26 Andrew Armstrong
1791 Apr 24 Jannet Armstrong
1792 Mar 15 Mary Armstrong
1802 Feb 8 Simon Armstrong
1802 Feb 26 Thos Armstrong
1804 Jan 29 Andrew Armstrong
1804 Jan 31 Helen Armstrong
1804 May 9 David Armstrong
1804 Mar 23 Mary Armstrong
1804 Dec 19 Hannah Armstrong
1805 Feb 16 William Armstrong
1805 Feb 26 Jean Armstrong

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
brigau,

Thanks for those sharing those names. Do you know why there is no info after 1905 by any chance?

Mona
Canonbie: Armstrong, Steel(e), Murray, Carruthers, Dickson, Little, Elliot

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are several reasons - maybe they were not recorded or these records simply have not survived.  The notice in red: 'please read before searching' info at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/oprdeath/index.aspx provides a link to burial records available for each parish.

brigau

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Very good, thank you all!  :D

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 11:38 BST (UK) »
    Mona Lisa,
                       Are you sure the person you are looking for isn't the Thos Armstrong who died in 1829 that I already mentioned?

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi doddsie4,

I am investigating your lead, sorry I didn't reply directly to you!

Thomas and Grace had their last child ~1830, so Thomas's death in 1829 is not impossible. Grace could have been pregnant when he died. Another piece of info that is a fly in the ointment is Westerkirk. I have been to the area, and what makes me a bit skeptical is that by tradition, I have not found a single family member that moved out of Canonbie for 5 generations. One on the other side of this pedigree was born elsewhere, but moved to Canonbie when he married in and then died there. Even if he died in Westerkirk, why would he be buried there? Not questioning you of course, just musing out loud. :)

I was not able to find the same file on ScotsPeople you have refered to. Can you please share your search paramenters with me? That way I can do a click through to see if it's him. Thanks for your follow up.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
        Just bring up Scotlands People, then go to the O.P.R. records & click Deaths & Burials.     Fill in Armstrong and Thos for first name.    Tick: Male.     Make the death dates: 1828 to 1830.    Make the area Dumfriesshire.        Click Search and it is the only one that comes up.    It could be that his grave is so old that it is no longer visible in any churchyard, and the lists that you see for Dumfries & Galloway graveyards were only of those graves that were visible when a survey of the graveyard was taken.   

I once had the same situation for ancestors of mine and the only way that I could find out 
that they were in the graveyard that I fully expected them to be in was by writing to The Archivist of that particular church.      Sure enough, they were buried there but weren't on the public records but they were in the church records.

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the specifics. That's a possibly that I hadn't considered. As this would be the first time I have attempted an inquiry like this, would I just email or call the church and ask for the contact info for the archivist? I don't see any obvious contacts on the Canonbie Parish website. Sorry for the newbie question.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
    I tried some Googles and discovered that there is a Canonbie Parish Church & possibly a Canonbie United Church.      The address for the Canonbie Parish Church appears to be Milton Street, Canonbie, DG14 ORA.       I also tried a google which brought up some images of Canonbie church & graveyard.

Just google "Churches and Graveyards in Dumfries & Galloway."     A lot of photos of Dumfriesshire churches will appear.     Click the Canonbie church.      There are three pages there.

It mentions here that the graveyard is one of the largest for such a small village, and elsewhere, I also read that it was a very large churchyard.      I think this might be the Canonbie Parish Church and graveyard you are looking for.      Can't be 100% certain though.      However, as it is only a small village, and the graveyard is large, and it looks promising to me.

Canonbie Parish Church & Canonbie United Parish Church have the same postal codes of DG14.    It is only the last three letters of the postal code that is different, so they must be very close to one another.      I think the one with the code DG14 ORA is right (see address in 1st paragraph above)