Author Topic: New Zealand BMDs General Enquiry  (Read 20325 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand BMDs General Enquiry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Alan.

I have just used the link you provided and searched for the person who I think died in 1914, who MAY be connected to the family I am researching --- and BINGO -- up came a Will! Immediate success.

They don't make it easy in New Zealand though, do they --- it can only be viewed in Dunedin! In the UK -- we can order such things (at a cost of course). I will email the Archives and see what's what.

Thank you so much for the link.

Regards
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
Pennines, familysearch are digitising the Wills for Archives NZ and they are searchable on familysearch's website - https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1865481.  They're not yet complete but they do appear to have digitised 1914 for Dunedin.  All you need to do is enter the name in the search box.

Otherwise, its probably worth posting a request on here as some kind chatters do photograph Wills for people at the NZ Archives.  I think from memory the Archives themselves charge rather a lot for copies. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline SpudKiwi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
I recently ordered a copy of a 1976 Probate+Will from Christchurch Archives. They only charged me $20, and I had the  scanned document emailed to me within a week. I thought that was pretty good service.
BELL - Crumlin / Glenavy / New Zealand
CORMICAN - Crumlin
WHITE - Crumlin
MATHEWS - Comber NI
TOLERTON - New Zealand

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
I am genuinely overwhelmed by your help and knowledge. Thank you so much -- I came on here knowing nothing about NZ research -- and now I can have hours of fun exploring the sites you have told me about.

You have made an old woman very happy!!

Regards

Pennines
Places of interest;

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
I recently ordered a copy of a 1976 Probate+Will from Christchurch Archives. They only charged me $20, and I had the  scanned document emailed to me within a week. I thought that was pretty good service.

Hhm, I may have been getting costs confused with Australian Archives as that is reasonable. :-X  That said, without online ordering, its probably more difficult for those of us that live outside New Zealand.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that there are folk willing to go into the 4 Archives offices to view and photograph various files for you which saves the costs

Cheers Janette

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant news Janette. Thank you.

I will check the Look Ups section later (seems really cheeky but I'll give it a go when I am ready).

Regards

Pennines
Places of interest;

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
If you've already checked the link I gave for familysearch and the Will doesn't appear, then its definitely worth a lookup request on here.  I've been very lucky with some sidelines, hence my suggestion in an earlier post rather than contacting the Archives direct.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant news Janette. Thank you.

I will check the Look Ups section later (seems really cheeky but I'll give it a go when I am ready).

Regards

Pennines

If you would like a file viewed just start a new thread with the appropriate look up request in the title we are a helpful friendly bunch down here  ;D ;D ;D ;D and NO it is not cheeky to ask for help  :D

Cheers Janette