Author Topic: Isabella Paul Dow  (Read 4228 times)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Paul Dow
« on: Monday 22 June 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
Born in Rothiemay, Baffshire in 1873. Her father George was a coachman. Isabella grew up in Aberdeen and started her working life as a Bookkeeper before training as a nurse presumably in Aberdeen. In the 1901 census Isabella was working as a nurse in Paisley at The Peter Brough Nursing Home. Prior to joining the Scottish Women's Hospitals she was working as matron in Perth.

I am trying to find out when/where she died?

kind regards as always

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Paul Dow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People has a death of Isabella Paul Dow, aged 62, in 1935. The death index (1 credit) would tell you in which district she died, and the certificate (5 credits) would tell you exactly where.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Alan, you have her specific birth details from 1872? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY56-2QT

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could you please tell me what hospital Isabella was matron off in Perth.

"Perth Royal Infirmary" celebrated the centenary of the Royal opening on July 10th Last year, It was opened on the afternoon of the 10th July 1914 by King George V and Queen Mary. It's first matron was "Bessie Dorra Bowhill" she commenced work as matron at the old Royal Infirmary (Now the A K Bell Library) in 1909 and was probably responsible for the move from the old hospital to the new one.

There is a booklet available from the administration dept at Perth Royal detailing the history up to the royal opening including details of Bessie's career.

She also joined the Womens Scottish Hospital and was taken prisoner in Serbia in 1915 and repatriated to this country in February 1916.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 11:49 BST (UK) »

Hi ,
     A few spare credits -- hope this helps.

Isabella died 11 February 1935 she was found dead in the garden at Marlow Cottage in Banchory  at 7p.m. her usual address was  The Chalet   Ramsay Road Banchory
she was aged 62 and a nurse (retired) father George was a farm servant dec. mother Mary m.s. Smith also dec.

nephew in law Thomas Blease  King Street Inverbervie registered death .

midlad

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Bleckie,  I have a fair amount on Bessie Bowhill. As for the hospital in question for nurse Dow, the hand writing on the form i read was not great but looked like Bettley House Perth where she was matron. Have you looked at my web site http://scottishwomenshospitals.co.uk  A chance more were working at Perth Royal.

Alan

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:17 BST (UK) »

Hi ,
     A few spare credits -- hope this helps.

Isabella died 11 February 1935 she was found dead in the garden at Marlow Cottage in Banchory  at 7p.m. her usual address was  The Chalet   Ramsay Road Banchory
she was aged 62 and a nurse (retired) father George was a farm servant dec. mother Mary m.s. Smith also dec.

nephew in law Thomas Blease  King Street Inverbervie registered death .

midlad

Hi Midlad,

That was very generous of you to use your own personal credits on Scotland's People to help find when and where Isabella Paul Dow died.
Shame your generosity was not acknowledged by the poster.  ::)

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan
I think we have corresponded before as regarding Bessie.

From memory at the start of the war the hospitals in Perth were PRI Murray Royal Hospital, Hillside Hospital, Rosebank house became a Red Cross hospital and the Old PRI was a VAD hospital I have not come across a Bettley House in Perth

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Bleckie, like i said the hand writing is tricky to make out. If i get the chance to look at the form again i will try again to find out a little more.   Sandra, you are right, its was indeed an act of kindness by Midlad.  I hold my hands up, thank you for this information.

Alan