Author Topic: John Kennedy Minister of East Wemyss and wife Elizabeth Rollo  (Read 4068 times)

Offline geniemom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Kennedy Minister of East Wemyss and wife Elizabeth Rollo
« on: Monday 22 June 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
John Kennedy was the Minister of East Wemyss prior to 1898 through at least his wife's death in 1939.  I am looking for any descendants of this couple, I know they had two sons; George Rollo Kennedy born 1901 and David born 1909.  John dies in 1963 at Windygates and Elizabeth died earlier in 1939.  I wonder if there are any photos of the couple out there since he was the Minister and if they are buried in the East Wemyss Cemetery or somewhere else. Thanks for any ideas or assistance in advance. 
Auchterlonie, Chaplain, Douglas, Duncan, Fletcher, Gilcrest, Gowans, Hepburn ,Jamison, Laidlaw, MacKellar, Reaper, Robertson, Robertson, Rollo, Scot, Simpson, Slater, Smith, Thomson,Wise,Wright

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Kennedy Minister of East Wemyss and wife Elizabeth Rollo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi geniemom,
John Kennedy was ordained as minister at East Wemyss in May 1894. I found this in 'Find My Past' newspaper section along with an article about his wife's funeral although it didn't say where she was to be buried. There don't seem to be any photographs of John in the newspapers but lots of little articles about church business he carried out.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
The 5th volume of the Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae says that John Kennedy was born Saltcoats, Ayrshire, 13th December, 1867.
His parents were David Kennedy & Ann Fleck.
Ordained 23rd May, 1894 and married Elizabeth Blyth, 1st June, 1898.
Elizabeth was born 29th December, 1872.
Only daughter of Captain George Rollo of Newport on Tay.
David Kennedy, Lieut. R.A.F., born 22nd March, 1899 and George Rollo Kennedy, born 23rd August, 1901.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
Picture of their grave at East Wemyss Cemetery from NorrieG on this page, just scroll down until you find it.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=506378.261

Interesting that the wife's name was Elizabeth Blyth Rollo

You might also try joining this forum and asking in the East Wemyss Section, you never know a local might respond
http://globalteam.co.uk/fftw/forums/index.php?/forum/77-east-wemyss/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 March 16 08:37 GMT (UK) »
John Kennedy was the Minister of East Wemyss prior to 1898 through at least his wife's death in 1939.  I am looking for any descendants of this couple, I know they had two sons; George Rollo Kennedy born 1901 and David born 1909.  John dies in 1963 at Windygates and Elizabeth died earlier in 1939.  I wonder if there are any photos of the couple out there since he was the Minister and if they are buried in the East Wemyss Cemetery or somewhere else. Thanks for any ideas or assistance in advance.
Hi geniemom

I've just been scrolling through the old Fife posts and found this.

My cousin in Brisbane - a Rollo - is a 3rd cousin of the Reverend John's wife, Elizabeth, and we did a bit of 'digging' some time ago and found details for their sons:

David was born 23 March 1899 at The Manse, East Wemyss, married Mabel Kinninmonth on 8 March 1921 at 53 George IV Bridge, District of St Giles, City of Edinburgh. She was born 7 March 1900 at St Brycedale Avenue, Kirkcaldy, Fife and died on 19 December 1982 at 17 Souter Street, MacDuff, Banffshire. David died on 24 May 1980 at "Wemysshof", 69 Lady Nairn Avenue, Kirkcaldy, Fife.

George Rollo was born 23 August 1901 at the Manse as well, and married Mary Hampton Hart bet. January and March 1927 at Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire. She was born on 3 November 1904 at Measham, Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire and died on 27 December 1990 at Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. George predeceased Mery on 16 November 1967, also in Wolverhampton.

Although we never did find any 'issue' for either son we did find this for them:
David:
1901 Census Residing at The Manse, East Wemyss, Parish of Wemyss, Fife
1911 Census Residing at Wemyss Manse, Wemyss, Fife - scholar

A 'Declaration of Passenger to Canada' Form 30A, completed in Edinburgh, shows David was accompanied by his wife Mabel and that his 'Object in going to Canada' was 'to train as fruit farmer'.  Their destination was Mission City, British Columbia to a friend, Mrs V. Nightingale, Box 60, Mission City, B.C.  David declared he had the required sum of £200 in his possession. [In 2012, £200 0s 0d from 1921 was worth £7,510.00 using the retail price index or £27,500.00 using average earnings.]
It would seem that David and Mabel were unable to settle in Canada and they sailed from Montréal, Québec on the S.S. 'Metagama' (Canadian Pacific Line) to Glasgow where they arrived on 18 Jun 1922

George:
"The Evening Post" : Saturday 24 August 1901
BIRTH
"Kennedy.-At Wemyss Manse, East Wemyss, on the 23d. inst., the wife of the Rev. John Kennedy, B.D., of a son."

1911 Census Residing at Wemyss Manse, Wemyss, Fife - scholar

UK Medical Registers for the years 1927, 1931, 1939, 1943, 1947, 1951 and 1959 show him in Claverley, Wolverhampton (Staffordshire), first Registered 26 Jul 1974 M.B., Ch.B. 1924 University of Edinburgh.
The 1932 Kelly's Directory for Bilston, Staffordshire lists him under "Bilston Area Guardians Committee. Vaccination Officers, the Registrars of Births & Deaths, Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Pattingham and Trysull District." - at Claverley
The 1934 Kelly's Directory for Bridgnorth, Shropshire lists him under "Bridgnorth Area Guardians Committee. Medical Officers : Bridgnorth No. 5 District." - at Claverley

"Aberdeen Journal" Aberdeen : Saturday 19 May 1834
"TAY PLEASURE BOAT OVERTURNS.
Occupants Rescued After Long Ordeal in Water.
For almost an hour yesterday three people were in danger of losing their lives when their pleasure dinghy overturned in the river Tay at Balmerino on the Fife shore, almost opposite Dundee.
The boat drifted half a mile from the shore with the occupants clinging to it until their plight was observed and a boat was manned at Balmerino. The occupants were - Dr George Rollo Kennedy, Mrs Kennedy, and Mr Alexander Gordon Hart, motor mechanic, Dr Kennedy's brother-in-law.
They were all residing at Rose Cottage, their summer residence at Balmerino.
There was a strong south-westerly wind when the party left the shore and the hoisted the mainsail allowed the dinghy to sail down the river.
Struck Sandbank.
When about a third of a mile from land the boat struck a small sandbank and capsized and threw all three occupants into the water.
They were able, however, to retain a grip of the upturned boat and, holding on precariously, drifted further out into the river towards the Tay Bridge.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 9904881

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Geniemom!

I am John Kennedy's great-great-grandson! My great uncle (son of George Rollo Kennedy) is a keen family historian and may be able to provide you with photos and further information. Can I ask what your interest is in this side of the family? I found your post by a very strange coincidence I encountered today... I am a doctor working in a different area of Scotland and met a new patient today, an elderly lady in her late 90s who was originally from East Wemyss. I asked her if she knew my great-great-grandfather and she said that she did... given her dementia I thought I would do a google search to see when he was working as a minister which led me to your post! The dates she gave were plausible given the posts I have found here and as people with dementia tend to remember the distant past well I can conclude she was speaking the truth! I would be interested to hear from anyone as I am sure my father and great uncle would be really interested to hear of any extended family connections! It is a small world! Kind regards, D

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
I am John Kennedy's great-great-grandson ... I would be interested to hear from anyone as I am sure my father and great uncle would be really interested to hear of any extended family connections! It is a small world! Kind regards, D

Hi there

I sent you a private message last week but have heard nothing back from you.  There is a relation iin Brisbane who is very keen to make contact with you.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 July 16 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Chiad Fhear.......

A new poster must post at least twice to receive a PM.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 July 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Chiad Fhear.......
A new poster must post at least twice to receive a PM.
Annie

Hi Annie

I thought that might be the problem!  I hope he'll pick up on his reply ... sometime  ::)

Chiad Fhear