Author Topic: John Morriss born in Barnack in circa 1777?  (Read 3777 times)

Offline skirby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Morriss born in Barnack in circa 1777?
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'm trying to  gather more information about John Morriss probably born in Barnack (18 Aug 1777 according to FamilySearch), then moved to Denton (Northamptonshire?).  I cannot find him as a child of James Morriss (c.1750 Barnack/Ann Bloodworth 1754 Wittering) or as a father of Jonathan Morris (1805 ?/Frances Cave 1808 Deeping St James). He married Jane Clare (1786 Yardley Hastings)in 1804 in Maxey (BMD). In 1851 he is a farmer with 180 acres in Denton at "The Elms" with nephews Charles Morriss, George Morris and niece Sara Brawn. He was buried 22 Dec 1851 (BMD).

Was that his actual birth date? Did he have children - most importantly Jonathan? Who were his parents?

Who were Charles's parents, George's parents, Sara's parents?

Any help greatly appreciated!  Thanks ahead of time!  Stephanie

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: John Morriss born in Barnack in circa 1777?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi skirby,
I have found a further burial in Lincolnshire which may/may not be yours.
Source: Lincolnshire Family History Society, St John the Evangelist, Washingborough, Lincs, Burial:-
John MORIS was buried 10th September 1851, aged 62.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
According to the 1851 census John was born in Denton and Jane in Yardley Hastings. It seems unlikely that they are the couple that married in Maxey 1804 where they are both described as 'of this parish'

Offline skirby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying. I must admit now I am completely stumped.....I am fine with everyone going back until I get to Jonathan Morris (27 Oct 1805 Northamptonshire - 12 Nov 1848 Deeping Gate).  I used some on-line family trees as my basis for his parents being John Morriss/ Jane Clare of Denton and John Morriss's parents as being James Morriss/Ann Bloodworth of Barnack.  But I can't find any telling records for them. It seems like John was born in Denton, not Barnack (as FamilySearch records). As we all know, sometimes those trees have inaccuracies, which may be what happened here. A big brick wall!  Thanks for looking for me - I'll keep searching.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
What Morris family do you know for sure is yours? Do you have them in any census?

Do you know that the Denton family is yours?

Offline skirby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
I know that Jonathan Morris (1805 - 1848) is the right one. I have all the descendants from that family; James Cave Morriss (1846 - 1934/Sophia Smith), Jonathan James Morris (1877 - 1931/Maud Bennington), Harriet Maud Morris (1909 - 2003 TX/Norman James) and the present day family members. All the Johns and James don't make it easier do they?!

The family in Denton - now I think not. All the Jonathan family and descendants lived around Deeping Gate until the 1900s when one direct member moved to Hertfordshire, then Australia, then Texas.

Thank you for your interest. Let me know if you have any revelations.  Sincerely, Stephanie

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
So this is the Family in 1841?
Johnathan Morris, 36, No (not born in County)
Frances Morris,  35, No
Johnathan Morris, 11, No
Elizabeth Morris, 9, No
John Morris, 5, Yes
Mary Morris, 3 Mo, Yes

And in 1851;
Frances Morris,48, born Deeping St James, Lincolnshire
Jonathan Morris, 22, born Ditto
Thomas Morris, 13, born Deeping Gate, Northamptonshire
Mary Ann Morris, 7
James Morris, 4***

Now if born Lincs;

JONATHAN Morris Christened 27 October 1805, Sibsey, Lincoln
Parents JOHN/JANE
(Familysearch.Org)

FreeREG is down so cant look for this on there!

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline skirby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 17:05 BST (UK) »
I have seen the Sibsey record - Sibsey is north of Deeping St James, so makes sense - but I cannot find a John/Jane  in Lincolnshire with a son named Jonathan. There is also a Denton Lincolnshire, southwest of Sibsey - but the 51 census says that a John/Jane are in Denton Northamptonshire (far south of the Deepings), and they were born in that area.

Maybe John 1777 was born in Denton but moved to Sibsey where son Jonathan was born?  I have no idea how to prove that! And maybe John's father James, born in Barnack, lived in Denton for John's birth? Can't prove that either!  Speculations! OR, Jonathan had an altogether different set of John/Jane parents! There is a Jane Morriss in Deeping St James in 1851 - widow, pauper, born Deeping Gate, age 73.

Anyway -  will keep searching. Thank you again for your interest. I really appreciate the help. Stephanie

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 18:15 BST (UK) »

Here is a likely marriage for Johnathan's parents (Northamptonshire Marriage Index CD)
John   MORRISS   otp   Jane   CLARE   otp   1804   12-Jan   at Maxey               

I googled Maxey and found this

Maxey, a village and a parish in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the river Welland at the boundary with Lincolnshire, and near Ermine Street, 1 1/2 mile N by E of Helpston station on the M.R., and 1 1/2 SW of Market Deeping, and is a straggling place. The parish contains also the hamlet of Deeping Gate. It has a post office under Market Deeping; money order and telegraph office, Market Deeping. Area of Maxey, 1483 acres; population, 313. Area of Deeping Gate, 691 acres; population, 191

This is the marriage for the younger Johnathan
Jonathan   MORRIS   of Deeping Gate, bachelor, full age, labourer, father Jonathan, labourer
Elizabeth   WEYMAN   otp, spinster, full age, father James, labourer   
1854   26-Dec at Maxey