Author Topic: HELP is needed  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Becky Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HELP is needed
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find info on my Nana mum but hit a brick wall as what I no is my Nana was brought up by her  uncle  and auntie that's all I no about my nanas mum on her death catificate (nanas) it say Elizabeth Stewart that it no job  my nana was born in 1915

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: HELP is needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Information on a death cert is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving the info.  You need to go backwards and buy a copy of the 1915 birth cert to confirm her mothers name/address and occupation
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You need to investigate if there was any Stewart connection to the aunt and uncle (ie) was the uncle surname Stewart or was the aunt's maiden name Stewart?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Becky Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:52 BST (UK) »

Yes his last name was Stewart

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
If the Stewarts were married before 1911 - you can look them up on the 1911 census to get the uncles details and then trace him back to see if he had a sister called Elizabeth

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Becky Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks for ur help

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
Becky,

Whereabouts was she born, do you know? Did she live all her life somewhere in Dumfriesshire? Do you know any other aunts, uncles, cousins on that side at all? All small clues help.

So your Nana's mother was Elizabeth Stewart and she was a single mother in 1915, so her child (your Nana) was raised by Elizabeth's brother and his wife. is that right? Just confirming.

My grandmother was also born to a single mother, also named Elizabeth, but in 1908 in Argyll. My grandmother was raised by her mother's parents. My grandmother, in turn had her own baby while single (my Mum) and that baby was raised by an aunt and uncle, Elizabeth's sister and her husband. I know it can be a difficult thing to research due to the secrecy resulting from the scandal of the so called "illegitimate" birth at the time. My Mum is 87 and still hates to talk about any of it all!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Becky Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 August 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
Becky,

Whereabouts was she born, do you know? Did she live all her life somewhere in Dumfriesshire? Do you know any other aunts, uncles, cousins on that side at all? All small clues help.

So your Nana's mother was Elizabeth Stewart and she was a single mother in 1915, so her child (your Nana) was raised by Elizabeth's brother and his wife. is that right? Just confirming.

My grandmother was also born to a single mother, also named Elizabeth, but in 1908 in Argyll. My grandmother was raised by her mother's parents. My grandmother, in turn had her own baby while single (my Mum) and that baby was raised by an aunt and uncle, Elizabeth's sister and her husband. I know it can be a difficult thing to research due to the secrecy resulting from the scandal of the so called "illegitimate" birth at the time. My Mum is 87 and still hates to talk about any of it all!

Mary
Hi Mary do u mean my nana or her mum i don't no where ether was born

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
As your Nan is deceased can you tell us her full name?   You say she was born 1915 and, as you have posted this on the Dumfriesshire board one supposes she was born in this county.   

Her birth entry - if indeed in Dumfriesshire - will at least determine which part of Dumfriesshire she was born in.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 August 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Becky,

Hoping to help here ... love a good genealogical challenge! But, as Annette says, we need a bit more info. Anything that you know, big or small, about Nana will help us. Sometimes seemingly useless facts turn out to be the key to the whole thing.

Annette, interested in your Horne connection in Scotland. My great great uncle, Angus McGregor, was born in Argyll but married an Agnes Horne. I believe they met in Ayrshire, where he was a chauffeur in the early 1900s. They ended up in England. More details if interested.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull