Author Topic: Uniform Identification please  (Read 2639 times)

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform Identification please
« on: Wednesday 24 June 15 01:10 BST (UK) »
Can anyone identify the uniform this gentleman is wearing please. He was born 1870. This was taken WWI. Thankyou
Critchley, Morgan, Mogford, Marks, Price,  Pryce,Hammond, Lambert, (Davis) Lane and Thomas in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Somerset to South Wales.  Northover, Samways, Stevens, Clark, Ridge and Thornhill in Dorset

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform Identification please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 03:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

appears to be Royal Engineers...any details?

regards,

David

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 04:09 BST (UK) »
That is interesting and helpful. No real details apart from bmd. He did not die in the war though.
I was asked to help a lady find her family. I built her tree ok and I have this man's bmd's and census etc. Then she asked me to look into the war records. There was nothing coming up on ancestry so I had a look at the IWM - Lives of the first world war - there are several and one in the Royal Engineers.
The lady sent me this photo so I thought if someone could identify the uniform it would help greatly.

The man's name is James Hull. He was born 4th May 1870 registered Leominster in Herefordshire baptized on 23rd May; Parents are: Thomas Hull 1820-1889 and his wife Elizabeth.
James married Agnes Elton in 1899, registered Hereford and they lived Madley and then Eaton Bishop.
By 1911 he is 40 yrs, living Eaton Bishop in Herefordshire.
No information from the family at all regarding his military service.
He returned and lived in Herefordshire, died on 5th December 1930 at Ross and was buried on the 8th.
--------------
This is the information for the Sapper in the RE at IWM.
First name(s) James
Last name Hull
Service number170563
Rank Sapper
Corps Royal Engineers
Service record Soldier Number: 170563, Rank: Sapper, Corps: Royal Engineers
Thanks so much

Critchley, Morgan, Mogford, Marks, Price,  Pryce,Hammond, Lambert, (Davis) Lane and Thomas in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Somerset to South Wales.  Northover, Samways, Stevens, Clark, Ridge and Thornhill in Dorset

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 04:57 BST (UK) »
there is a prewar service record for a James Hull b 1870  born Wigmore,Ludlow,Heredfordshire....he joined the Royal Artillery in 1893,,,but only served 4 days before being discharged. He states he is a blacksmith by trade,,,and is a member of the 1st Hereford rifle volunteers. His next of kin is stated as his mother Elizabeth.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 05:18 BST (UK) »
I think this is probably him. I know he was a blacksmith. His mother is Elizabeth. Can you direct me to the record?

(NOTE: There is also a story attached to a his son William (b 1898) of how he joined up and went to Gallipoli -  but he hurt his hand and was discharged but there were no medals. Sounds to me as if the family have it mixed up and James may have been discharged over the injury in 1893 prewar. Perhaps James or William then enlisted for WW1 and went to Gallipoli but this rather clouds the waters so perhaps better to keep it simple)

Thank you for helping

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 05:54 BST (UK) »
its on findmypast  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 06:09 BST (UK) »
Thankyou

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 07:45 BST (UK) »
170563 enlisted 1915 discharged 1917 with sickness he served over seas and was entitled to medals and silver war badge.He is on silver war badge roll as J Hull.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ady.
At this stage, I don't know if this is our man, of course. But I will check him out further.
The main thing just now is to try and confirm the uniform.
If it is Royal Engineers there are a few Hulls to check out before I can connect to the family I am researching.

Thank you everyone