Author Topic: Anyone originally from Belleek, Garrsion or Derrygonnelly?  (Read 10685 times)

Offline Beezy4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone originally from Belleek, Garrsion or Derrygonnelly?
« on: Wednesday 24 June 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my great aunt Angela Dolan who came from a place called Killybeg (also known as Killabig), near Belleek in Co. Fermanagh. She left Belleek for Belfast in 1945 and was never heard of again, although there were rumours that she went to England or America. I was just wondering if anyone out there has family from the Belleek, Garrsion or Derrygonnelly area who might remember anything about Angela or the Dolan family? Many thanks for your help.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone originally from Belleek, Garrsion or Derrygonnelly?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to put a message in one of the local papers for information.

Offline Beezy4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion Rathmore, I haven't done that yet but I think that will be my next step. I did put some posters up around the Belleek area but I didn't get any response, so perhaps I need to cast my net a bit wider with an ad.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Try an email/phonecall to the chap who runs the following website, his details are on the contact tab at top of the home page >:(:

http://www.joeoloughlin.co.uk/

Even if he can't assist, he may be able to suggest others in the area who can.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Beezy4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Scotmum, I did speak to Joe and he was very helpful but unfortunately he wasn't able to give us much more info than we already have.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 June 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
How old was she when she left.

have you tried the Electors list of 1939/40 she should be mentioned on that

I know Ballyshannon County Donegal had a electors list 1939/40

Offline Beezy4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rathmore, yes we know that she was living with her parents and siblings up until 1944 but after that her whereabouts are unknown. I know she took her son to Belfast after having him in Dublin in 1945 and placed him with a private foster carer for three years, but we have no idea where she lived during this time.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 June 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
You will have to say on any notices you put up that you don't blame the family for what happened to Angela you just want to get in touch with family, and find out more about your roots.

The family must be feeling guilty and so they should be.  She must have had the baby in a mother and baby home. and of course this could still be a family sercret about the baby, of course everyone living around about that time would have known.  Of course 1944 was a different time girls that had babies usually were force to go to baby homes. The baby was put up of adoption or brought up by the family and sometimes the girls could not come back home a lot of girls came to England.  Some girls were lucky and lived at home with there family and baby.

Do you have an address for her up to 1944 on the census 1911 Dolan living at Killybegs, Derrygonnelly and garrison in 1911 also townland called Killy Beg Parish Inishmacsaint Fermanagh

Offline Beezy4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
I think you're right Rathmore, one of the difficulties is persuading people to share any information they have because they might worry about discussing such a sensitive issue. Saying that though, everyone I've spoken to in the local area has been very helpful, and Angela's parents and siblings are now deceased so they won't be affected by the search. But you're right, I will make it clear in any notices that I don't blame anyone for what happened to her.

Yes, Angela's family are the Dolans that show up as living at the townland called Killybeg Parish Inishmacsaint on the 1911 census.

Many thanks for looking into this for me!