Author Topic: RHODES, John - born 1819/1821 Derbyshire marriage look-up request  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RHODES, John - born 1819/1821 Derbyshire marriage look-up request
« on: Wednesday 24 June 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
It has been recommended I post a request for a look-up.  John Rhodes was 29 in the 1851 census therefore must be born around 1821 although some records state 1819ish.  He married a Betty [Elizabeth] Bradbury [father: Joseph Bradbury] in Glossop, Derbyshire on 25th February 1844.  I have no family details for John other than this marriage and several census reports which place him in Whitfield and Tintwistle afterwards working as a weaver/carder. Would it be possible for anyone going to the Derbyshire records office to check this marriage for me?  I would love some details on John's parentage if possible.  It is likely that he came from Kirkheaton, Huddersfield but it is possible he may have originated in Bradford.   Thank you.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RHODES, John - born 1819/1821 Derbyshire marriage look-up request
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:22 BST (UK) »

It is likely that he came from Kirkheaton, Huddersfield but it is possible he may have originated in Bradford.   

What birthplace does he have on census entries 1851/1861 etc
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello - thanks for getting back.  The 1851 Census has his birthplace as Yorkshire, Yetton.  1861 Census states Yorks, Huddersfield, 1871 just says 'Yorkshire'.  1881 says Yorkshire, Bradford.  Hence my confusion.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 08:05 BST (UK) »
You can see the image of this marriage on Family Search.
Unfortunately it doesn't show John's fathers name it just says "dead" so it isn't very helpfull  :(
John is shown as a Cotton Carder of full age residence Glossop and he signed the register
Betty is also of full age residence Whitfield  father Joseph and she made her mark.
One of the witnesses was George Robinson the other one is Abram, not sure of surname could be Sheapard  ???

You will need to become a member [free] of Family Search to be able to view this image for yourself
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KB6N-7G2.
click on the camera at the right of the record. :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can see it.  Isn't he a fine writer?  Sigh... it is annoying isn't it?  Father 'dead'.  I had that on one of my Scarborough relation's documents.  Tells me nothing.  Bless them if they'd known the work they were causing their descendants?  It won't let me download the image so I suppose I will have to contact Derbyshire records and purchase one but that's fair enough.  Thank you very much for your help.

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Just to say 'thank you' - got loads of family information plus John Rhodes' marriage records in Matlock records office yesterday.  As ever, Rootschat had the answer.