Author Topic: Jeremiah Birkett  (Read 4835 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Birkett
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 15:38 BST (UK) »
Jeremiah Birkett was born around  1813 at Skelwith Bridge - He married Agnes Clark (I think) at Liverpool in 1837.....and his occupation was 'Joiner'.

but who were his parents ?

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Birkett
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 17:36 BST (UK) »
This probably isn't a great help but I noticed that there was an Ann Birkett living in Skelwith Bridge on the 1829 directory.  She was listed as a grocer and draper.

Ann was the only Birkett listed for Skelwith Bridge but there were others nearby.

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
There are a few Birkett's in the Lake District....inc. a Rev Stephen Birkett who was the incumbent at the Chapel at Langdale - just a couple of miles up the road - but I can't connect Jeremiah to any of them !

thank you anyway - I will make a note of Ann - maybe one day she will fit in !
~~~~~~~~

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy
Sorry I can't help with this - I was attracted by your mention of Birkett, then spotted Cragg in your surname listing.
I'm trying to trace Craggs who lived at Broken Brow Kirby Lonsdale area in 1841 census where 8 month old Birkett Robert was child of Mary, daughter of widowed householder.
Hoping for some connection to get beyond my "brick wall"

Audrey
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Harrison; Iddon; Jolly; Laithwaite; Livesey; Pilkington; Robinson; Shorrock ; Smith - Lancashire;  Boden; Morgan ;   - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire; Cragg ; Shepherd - Westmorland

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
My family line have Craggs......but I haven't got very far with them... but the Birkett family (as far as I know) are unconnected, as it is part of a project I was doing for my Mum's friend......

I think there are Cragg's from Ireland and also from the Isle of Man......

Mine, I think are from Ireland originally - but not sure.

I did come across a connected tree on the internet which had some of the same family members as mine - and they had gone back a further generation .....and had the surname as WRAGG.....rather than Cragg.  I haven't been able to contact the person & haven't been able to confirm ther source, or if they did change their name - still working on this line !

I haven't come across any connection with Kirby Lonsdale as mine all seem to be in Birtle/Bury, Lancashire before moving to Yorkshire
~~~~~~~~

Offline xtonaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 August 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I'll let you know if I find a connection

Audrey
census records are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Harrison; Iddon; Jolly; Laithwaite; Livesey; Pilkington; Robinson; Shorrock ; Smith - Lancashire;  Boden; Morgan ;   - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire; Cragg ; Shepherd - Westmorland

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Jeremiah Birkett was born around  1813 at Skelwith Bridge - He married Agnes Clark (I think) at Liverpool in 1837.....and his occupation was 'Joiner'.

but who were his parents ?

Hi, Just wondering if you ever did find the parents?? I know this is an old post but worth a try!! I am looking for the same person. He definitely was married to Agnes Clark, 1837, Liverpool.

Thanks, Mandy Nee; Birkett.