Author Topic: HALL family of Braunston, Northamptonshire  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Nevill67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HALL family of Braunston, Northamptonshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
It is SO difficult to get the right Hall as there are so many families with that name.
The man I have been studying Charles Hall physician  was born in Salcome Regis in Devon on March 9th 1739. He married  Ann Clarke by licence on 4th February 1772  at All Saints Church Braunston Northamptonshire . He had 10 childfren who lived into adulthood. The eldest were born in Daventry the younger ones in Braunston.
In 1995 Hall moved to Lew Trenchard Devon in 1795 and then to Tavistock Devon in 1807. He died in 1827 and was buried at St Mark's church Kennington London.
Best wishes,
Martin

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am also looking for information on the Hall family who lived in Braunston and who were boatman. My great grandfather was Allen Reading Hall 1855 -1902. He married Ellen Higgins. His father was Edward Reading Hall 1827 -? and his father was also Edward Hall and all were boatman. I would be so grateful if anyone could help. 
I would love to get to Braunston one day. I live in Perth Western Australia

Sue
There is a connection with a Higgins boating family with the Boswells with the women living in Brent cottages  in Brentford whilst the men are away on the boats the elderly lady is a boswell standing under 4 foot high the younger woman on her knees next to her is  alice Higgins

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Allen Reading Hall was baptised at Braunston church on May 27th 1855 his father was a legger at the time

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Allen Reading Hall was baptised at Braunston church on May 27th 1855 his father was a legger at the time
His father Edward Reading Hall married a Sarah Garner also at braunston both fathers give their occupation as Boatmen. Garner is also a known boating family

Offline Susie Stuttard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 November 17 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jane
Thank you so much for the information and especially the wonderful photo. There is a huge likeness between Alice and my father and my fathers sister Marjorie.  They had such dark hair.  Had no idea we were related to boat people. My father and grandfather never spoke of their family. Although I remember being told that my grandfathers little brother drowned by getting caught in a snag in the river. We also used to go for Sunday afternoon  walks along the canals when I was a child.  I remember my mother teasing my father by saying you all come from gypsies which infuriated him. Thank you so much for your help

Offline Susie Stuttard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 November 17 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Martin for helping. Yes, the surname Hall is very common. I have had a few confused moment sifting through my family tree. I wish you good luck finding information on your Charles Hall.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 17 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jane
Thank you so much for the information and especially the wonderful photo. There is a huge likeness between Alice and my father and my fathers sister Marjorie.  They had such dark hair.  Had no idea we were related to boat people. My father and grandfather never spoke of their family. Although I remember being told that my grandfathers little brother drowned by getting caught in a snag in the river. We also used to go for Sunday afternoon  walks along the canals when I was a child.  I remember my mother teasing my father by saying you all come from gypsies which infuriated him. Thank you so much for your help
being refered to as  gypsies would infuriate anyone with canal Boatman's blood it was a hate & still is as the two communities hated each other with a vengeance the only time they ever mixed was at the Appleby horse fare where they both needed to buy horses & by what I have read & been told (I come from 7 genration's of working boatmen) there was always fights between the two. there is a large population of people in Australia who have links to England & the working boatman I cant find them at the moment but there is a few web sites over there for people researching .

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Susie if you ever get the chance to go to Braunston try to make it in the summer when the historic Narrowboat show is on & I promise you wont be disappointed I could show you around places of interest & introduce you to others who have boatmen in their tree ( I have several family members who where born & raised on the boats who go) could even get you a ride on a boat in the parade if you wanted. An added bit of info I have just found in my data base is that the Higgins are listed as one of the family's who sent their children to the Braunston school in 1920 when the boat people where held up for many weeks in the 1920 boatmans strike  this cstike can be read about if you google 1920 Braunston  Boatman's strike .My Grandad & G Grandad along with other family members where part of this historical strike

Offline Susie Stuttard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
I was in the UK in July this year before I had tried to research the Hall line. I spent time in Devon and Cornwall trying to find information on my grandmothers side. Such a shame I didn’t know about my roots in Braunston. I have discovered that there were three generations so far of Halls that were boat people. Thank you so much for your very kind offer to show me around Braunston. It would be amazing to go to the narrow boat show and meet people who’s ancestors might of known my family. I would love to look around the cemetery across from All Saints church to see if any of my family are buried there. I’ll just have to save up and come back. The offer is extended to you here Jane if you ever come to Perth I would love to show you around.
Now I understand why my father hated the gypsies and he really did with a vengeance. I used to have lots of heated discussions with him when I was an idealistic teenager.
Thank you for the other photo of Alice gosh there is an amazing likeness. I will send you some pictures of my Halls and you will see. I will Google the 1920 boatman strike. Thank you also for that.
Thank you Jane