Author Topic: Sarah Ann Rothbourne 1857 birth in Hulme.  (Read 8089 times)

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Rothbourne 1857 birth in Hulme.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 June 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
43 Reather Street
Mary Rathbone  Head 36
Samuel Joseph Rathbone Brother  22
Annie Dineley  Lodger 39

Jane Annison  Aunt 61 born Ireland Not sure about this person, she might belong to the next household.

RG11/3999/107/37

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 June 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
There may be more Sarah Anns though. We are crossing them off the list though  ;)
Bev,
It would be worth checking other children's birth certificates. As you point out Sarah Ann may have been illiterate but if the certificate you have is a typed copy, then there could be errors in the transcription.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 June 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Here's the other Sarah Ann we had earlier.

1876 marriage James Ingram and Sarah Ann Holt.
1881 the Ingrams are living in Pearson Street with children and mother in law Sarah Rathbone.

So that accounts for the Holts.

It also does show that people can remarry within a short time of first marriage.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Here's the other Sarah Ann we had earlier.

1876 marriage James Ingram and Sarah Ann Holt.
1881 the Ingrams are living in Pearson Street with children and mother in law Sarah Rathbone.

So that accounts for the Holts.

It also does show that people can remarry within a short time of first marriage.

I agree, one of my Gt Gt Gt Granddad's did, but William never remarried after Sarah Ann died, that much is known for certain. His oldest daughter and her family are with him on the 1891 census, he is still unmarried, and again 1901 and 1911.

Sarah Ann seems to be too young to be married prior to her marriage to William.

Samuel Joseph Rathbone baptised 6th February 1859 at St Jude, Ancoats
Mother Ann
Canning Street

possibly Sarah Ann's brother, determining which of the birth's is my Sarah Ann is proving difficult

There may be more Sarah Anns though. We are crossing them off the list though  ;)
Bev,
It would be worth checking other children's birth certificates. As you point out Sarah Ann may have been illiterate but if the certificate you have is a typed copy, then there could be errors in the transcription.

Heywood

One by one,  ;)  yes, we are crossing them off - Thank you all for your help and input, I've had a busy family weekend, but head is back into searching mode and I'm going through all the info you have found for me - sieving it through to find her  ;D ;D
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
A quick little update, I still haven't managed to trace which Sarah Ann Rothbourne/Rathbone is mine, but her hubby William Taylor, I have now located his family on the 1841/51/61 censuses. AND his parents marriage in February 1837 - just before the statutory registrations... Edward Taylor and Ann Harrison.

Thank you everyone, Sarah Ann is still a brick wall to climb over, but I am getting there! All your help is much appreciated!
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help unravel this puzzle with me please. My 2nd Great Grandmother is Sarah Ann Rathbone. She was born about 1856 (ish) and it appears she might not have married my 2nd Great Grandfather William Taylor - any proof to the contrary gratefully accepted. She had their first child James Joseph Taylor in Jan 1873, and the baby died pretty soon afterwards buried in Philips Park cemetery on 8th Mar 1873 - her name is spelt RATHBURN, and she had him in Manchester. She had my Great Grandmother Emily Taylor on 1st Apr 1874 in Salford (I'm assuming she went home to mum, older sibling or aunt for the birth) - and her name is spelt Rothbourne. She had William in 1876, he died and was buried 14/11/1877 again in Philips Park cemetery, her name is spelt RATHBURN  and in the same year she had Walter, her name spelt RATHBORNE  in Apr and he died and was buried 5th Apr 1877 in Philips Park (I should add all pauper graves). She then had Thomas Edward in 1879, her name spelt RATHBURN - then John in 1881, and finally Ethel in 1884 her name spelt the same. Sarah Ann appears in 1881 on the census as Sarah AnnTaylor age 24 years with husband William, 7 year old Emily and 2 year old Thomas Edward. Unfortunately Sarah Ann died 17th November 1888 so she doesn't appear on the 1891 census, but William registered her death as the widower of Sarah Ann Taylor, her age 31 years.

Now for the puzzle. I, along with help from Roots chatters and my lovely 2nd cousin managed to find only 3 likely candidates for Sarah Ann Rathbone - born 1854, 1855, and 1856.
The first of these has parents Joseph and Sarah Clarke, the second has parents Joseph and Sarah Morris and the third has parents Joseph and Ann Hunt.
The daughter of Sarah Morris married a man named William Holt, who died and she remarried James Ingram I found Ms Morris as a widow residing with the family on the 1881 census.
Now one of the other girls married Charles Kitchen.  Having traced the girls through each census, it seemed as if this girl was the daughter of Ms Clarke. And that my Sarah Ann, was the daughter of Ms Hunt, whose husband died in 1858 when Sarah Ann was only 2.
However, a friendly genealogist has suggested that my Sarah Ann is the daughter of Ms Clarke and that they are from Cheshire. It has now become a tangle with no ends it seems, and I'm at a loss as to which way to go with this. It seems to me, that my Sarah Ann had Emily in Salford for a reason, and Rathbone/Clark family do not seem to fit. UNLESS, and I've been told I'm wrong, that Joseph Rathbone's parents are John Rathbone and Sarah Davis who married in Manchester and lived at least for a time in Salford....
Any ideas are most welcome - and thank you for reading.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Here is link to previous RC thread

topics now merged

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Here is link to previous RC thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723888.msg5683680#msg5683680

Pheno

aw... thank you... I wondered where it had gone - how do I copy and paste this into it?  I'm not actually looking for Sarah Ann - I found her - like buses - three at once  ::) ;D ;D

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 February 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
If you want this thread merged with your earlier one just click report to moderator (Bottom right hand corner of your post) and ask them to merge it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk