Author Topic: OFFER - Gravestone photos - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Ilovepeanutbutter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
OFFER - Gravestone photos - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
« on: Thursday 25 June 15 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I live in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and am happy to help anyone out. I love taking photos :)
KENNEDY, BLACK, BOAL... I have intermittent internet problems. Just because I am logged in does not mean I can respond to everything immediately. Thank you for your patience.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: OFFER - Gravestone photos - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I live in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne and am happy to help anyone out. I love taking photos :)
P.S. this means:
-Burwood
-Eltham
-Anderson's Creek
-Melbourne General
-Springvale
-Lilydale
-Preston
-Templestowe
-Box Hill
-Berwick
-Bundoora
-Fawkner East
-Keilor
-Warringal (Heidelberg)
-Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery
-St Kilda (Jewish)
-St Kilda Market (Cemetery underneath- original walls sill standing)

... may be other small ones...
KENNEDY, BLACK, BOAL... I have intermittent internet problems. Just because I am logged in does not mean I can respond to everything immediately. Thank you for your patience.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
P.S. this means:
-Burwood
-Eltham
-Anderson's Creek
-Melbourne General
-Springvale
-Lilydale
-Preston
-Templestowe
-Box Hill
-Berwick
-Bundoora
-Fawkner East
-Keilor
-Warringal (Heidelberg)
-Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery
-St Kilda (Jewish)
-St Kilda Market (Cemetery underneath- original walls sill standing)

... may be other small ones...
I can now sometimes go to Geelong as I have been visiting family down there a lot lately- will be down there every few weeks for the next couple of years.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 15 07:48 BST (UK) »
Awesome offer, very generous  :) :) :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 15 13:01 BST (UK) »

Offline margaret h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 October 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
I have just received a copy if a letter dated 18th December 1854 giving details of our great grandmothers death and burial in Melbourne.  If it is possible to find and photo the grave we would be forever in your debt. The name is Sarah Hodgkins and possibly her baby Mary Ann Eugenie. The letter says Sarah is buried in Melbourne cement,  7 miles from Richmond in grave number 91. The intention was for a tombstone to be erected. Sarah died on 12th December 1854 and had been buried when her husband Frederick writes to break the news to her parents on 18th Dec.
Thank you so much. Margaret

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 15 03:23 BST (UK) »
I have just received a copy if a letter dated 18th December 1854 giving details of our great grandmothers death and burial in Melbourne.  If it is possible to find and photo the grave we would be forever in your debt. The name is Sarah Hodgkins and possibly her baby Mary Ann Eugenie. The letter says Sarah is buried in Melbourne cement,  7 miles from Richmond in grave number 91. The intention was for a tombstone to be erected. Sarah died on 12th December 1854 and had been buried when her husband Frederick writes to break the news to her parents on 18th Dec.

You will need information on my post on Margaret's other thread.  Anyone reading this may have difficulty locating her burial/headstone as there were two cemeteries in and near Melbourne in 1854 - Old Melbourne Cemetery [now under the Queen Victoria Market] and [New] Melbourne General Cemetery at Carlton.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733475.msg5788821#msg5788821

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline margaret h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 October 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
Maybe she is buried under the market then Can do. Will try and make contact with the cemetery authorities as you previously suggested. Thanks.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 15 11:07 BST (UK) »

You will need information on my post on Margaret's other thread.  Anyone reading this may have difficulty locating her burial/headstone as there were two cemeteries in and near Melbourne in 1854 - Old Melbourne Cemetery [now under the Queen Victoria Market] and [New] Melbourne General Cemetery at Carlton.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=733475.msg5788821#msg5788821

Cando
Thank you Margaret and Cando for all the research - I had trouble opening the pdf but I have a map and I know the section is near the gate en route from church every Sunday. So won't be long before I can have a look.  :)