Author Topic: Robert Henley Allison / Allinson born c1801 in Black Banks, Durham, England  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Hi,

Looking for some info and leads re Robert Henley Allison / Allinson please.

Robert married Margaret (Peggy) Hutchinson in 1826, daughter of John Hutchinson and Ann Morrow. Robert and Peggy's second daughter, was Hannah Allison, my great grandmother, who married Emerson Richardson here in Victoria, Australia. I have always been intrigued where my great uncle William Allison Richardson got his middle name from, and would like to extend my tree records to include early Allison and even Henley family records if possible. Unfortunately my access to early UK BDM records is somewhat limited.

If interested, or related, I have done a deal of research into most of our early UK families, mainly Lead Ore Miners from northern UK who emigrated to Victoria for the Gold Rush - Listing of Australian descendants of Richardson, Vipond, Calvert, Coulson, Liddell, Parker, Bell, Cochrane, Hewitson, Broadwood, and many others can be found at
http://www.richardson.org.au

Many thanks
Mixo Sydenham
Ellinbank Vic Australia
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Henley Allison / Allinson born c1801 in Black Banks, Durham, England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you looked at the Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts on Familysearch? The marriage of Robert Allison and Margaret Hutchinson is image 389 in the Middleton in Teesdale records. On FindMyPast his middle name has been transcribed as Henley, Hinley or Kinley depending on the source. Looking at the image it certainly looks like Kinley to me.

Interestingly the two preceding marriages are for a George Allinson and an Isaac Allinson.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Freereg is also well worth a look as a lot of the records from Middleton in Teesdale have been transcribed. There is a birth for a Robert Allinson there 9 Dec 1801with parents Robert Allinson and Nanny Watson - first son. Abode Derth Pit. Father's occupation miner.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Mixo,

Are you sure you have the right Hannah.

Robert and Margaret's second daughter was named Hannah, baptized 1828 in Middleton on Teesdale, but they have another daughter named Hannah, baptized Auckland St. Helens in 29 March 1840, Hannah daughter of Robert Allison and Margaret Hutchinson of Fylands Bridge, so I presume the first Hannah had died.

1841 census, West Auckland,
Robert Alinson, 40, Coal Miner, N,
Margret Alinson, 40, N,
Hannah Allinson, 2, Y,
+ other children
HO107/307/3/31/14

1851 census, Crook and Billy Row,
Robert Allison, wid, 50, Coal Miner, b. Durham Black Banks,
Hannah Allison, dau, 11, b. Auckland St. Helens,
+ other children.
HO107/2386/276/25

According to several family trees on you know what, the younger Hannah goes on to marry William Cuthbert Gibb. Hannah Gibbs age and place of birth matches in later census.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Hi William and Alan.

Thanks for your time and feedback. Basically I have been tracing most of my family through ancestry.com.au and it appears I may have got a bad lead from a few researchers there, re Hannah Allison #1 born 1828 in Teesdale. Some researchers there indicated Hannah #2 born 1840 was to Robert Allison and an unknown mother - not Margaret Hutchinson. I did find a record of a Margaret Allison from Teesdale dying there in 1839, and possibly incorrectly assumed it was Robert's wife at the time of birth of Christopher in 1839 at Teesdale, and Robert took a new partner, and possiby named their child Hannah in honour of his daughter that left home and married in 1849 and went to Australia in 1862 on board the SS Great Britain.

Pardon my ignorance as to the old time U.K. Birth Death and Marriage system, but can you advise if a marriage certificate from 1849 include the names and occupations of parents, as they do in Australia?

I think I will probably have to buy Hannah #1's death certificate, in order to clarify her parents names.

The only other option I guess is to try and confirm Hannah Allison's birth details, going by the 1851 and 1861 UK census recrds, that show her married to my great great grandfather John Richardson, and living with his father Joseph Richardson at Alston, and both records stating she was born at Teesdale, Durham, about 1829. Sorry but I do not know how to trace or confirm these UK records from Australia.

Thanks again for your efforts
Mixo Sydenham
Ellinbank Victoria
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage of John Richardson and Hannah Allison took place at Garrigill St. John, 24 May 1849. So ordering from the GRO is June qtr 1849, Alston, vol 25 p3.

Marriage cert will give bride and grooms fathers names and occupations, you really need that to move forward on Hannah. Witnesses names can be useful as well.

In case her father turns out to be John, this is a good candidate :

1841 census, Hole House, Alston
John Allinson, 40, Leadminer, Y,
Elizabeth Allinson, 35, N,
William Allinson, 13, N,
Hannah Allinson, 12, N,
HO107/171/16/8/11

A couple of baptisms at Middleton in Teesdale

26 April 1828. William Allinson, son of John, Miner, and Elizabeth, of Harwood.
30 Sep 1831. Hannah Allison, daughter of John, Miner, and Elizabeth, of Harwood

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Probably the same family in 1851 census, minus John and Hannah,

High Crossgill Farm, Garrigill, Alston,
Elizabeth Alinson, head, wid, 47, Farmer of 50 acres, b. Middleton, Durham
William Alinson, son, unm, 23, Lead Ore Miner, b. Middleton, Durham
+ Lodger
HO107/2424/212/7

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hello Mixo

Alan beat me to it and so apologies for any repetition but having spent quite a while on this here goes!

The marriage record will give the father's name and occupation.

Looking at the 1841 census I note that there is an Allison family living at Hole House, Garrigill in the parish of Alston with John 40 (born in county lead miner), Elizabeth 35 (not born in county) William 13 (not born in county) and Hannah 12 (not born in county). Adult ages were mostly rounded down in this census. I can see a marriage between John Richardson and Hannah Alison 24 May 1849 at St John Garrigill.

Try having a look at the Bishop of Durham's transcripts for Middleton in Teesdale. Image 422 has a baptism for William Allinson 26 April 1828. Parents John and Elizabeth. Abode Harwood. Father's occupation miner. A sister, Isabella, was baptized on the same day. There is also a baptism for Hannah Allison at image 482. The date was 30 Sep 1831 with parents John and Elizabeth, abode Harwood and occupation miner. Children were not always baptized in the year of their birth - so these records are worth considering.

There is a marriage in Middleton in Teesdale between John Allinson and Betty Anderson 16 Aug 1825.

I think your best bet is to obtain Hannah's marriage cert and her death cert in Australia (re marriage cert do order through GRO as it is much cheaper). I can see from the trees on Ancestry that different conclusions have been reached as to Hannah's parents. I think the certs are the only way to go.

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The 1851 census for Elizabeth and William Alinson which Alan found  - the surname has been transcribed as Minson if you are trying to find it on Ancestry.

The 1861 census has William Allison at the same address as 1851, a widower with three children John 7, Thomas 5 and Isabella 3. I cannot see them in subsequent censuses and wonder if they might have emigrated to Australia as well. I do not have access to Australian records but a very basic search does suggest that a Wm Allison, John, Thomas and Isabella Allison did emigrate in 1862. This might be worth checking out.

William