Author Topic: Richmond Barracks in the 1880s  (Read 4546 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richmond Barracks in the 1880s
« on: Thursday 25 June 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
I have a record of the marriage of James Coventry in May 1880 in which his address is Richmond Barracks. This was his second marriage and the death certificate for his first wife indicates he was a soldier. I have checked the military records on findmypast without result  so I am wondering if there is any way of finding out what army units were stationed in the Barracks in the 1880s. Any pointers would be appreciated.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richmond Barracks in the 1880s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
click on the names and it gives several regiments for that era
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fjj/

edited to add
The 1880 baptisms also give a few different regiments

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 11:28 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Crossed over each other dathai :D
The 104th Fusiliers were there in May at least
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/fcf4ae0018483

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
he might have got a pension have you checked this?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
where did his first wife die ,you may find some of the regiments listed in 1880 in same place also were there any births to this first marriage that you could follow up as well.
104th in Dublin March 1880 to Dec then on to Curragh
http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.org/g5pos104.htm

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Dathai and Sinann for the inventive suggestion.  I have been through the marriage records with a Richmond Barracks address between 1870 and 1890.  In that period, there were over 30 regiments stationed in Richmond Barracks at different times, if the marriage registers are a good guide.  In about 20 cases, however, the regiment in question is mentioned only in one record, perhaps indicating that the unit was stationed there for only a short period (this, for example, appears to have been the case for the 104th Fusiliers mentioned by Sinann).  Of the units that appear to have been stationed in the Barracks for longer periods the Rifle Brigade shows up in records between 1873 and 1882, the Scots Guards between 1881 and 1889 and the Grenadier Guards between 1882 and 1887.  James Coventry's first wife died in 1879.  Her death certificate says her husband was a soldier.  She died at her family home off Meath Street, not in soldiers accommodation, but it suggests James was stationed in Dublin at the time of her death  which may mean he is more likely to have been in the Rifle Brigade rather than either regiment of Guards.  This is the best sense I can make of the information though I realise my logic could be full of holes.  Unfortunately, neither of James's marriage records list his occupation and I notice that the same is the case for nearly all of the RC marriage records with a Richmond Barracks address.  Only the Church of Ireland records mention the groom's regiment.
Rathmore, I found no record for James Coventry in the Chelsea Pensioners records on familysearch nor on findmypast.  I got a small number of hits for James Coventrys in the military records on the latter site but none that plausibly connect to my man.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
did you get the civil cert for the 1880 marriage it should have his occupation on it.

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
Dathai, no I haven't got the civil cert yet though I suspect it may simply say "soldier" for his occupation. Will get it, however, just in case there is more information.