Author Topic: Rebecca Price  (Read 5997 times)

Offline pat m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rebecca Price
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
looking for any info. on my g.grandmother Rebecca Glover (nee Price) she was born in Ireland circa 1843 (louth)? her father's name was Christopher Price says he was a butler on her marriage cert.she was married in Warrington Ches. in 1872.
She was listed on the 1871 census as living at Walton Lodge Lewisham as a servant
Does any of this ring a bell?
Pat M
Glover  Warrington
Lawless Mayo
Gannon Mayo/Galway
Reilly Meath
Ryan Galway/Mayo

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Price
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 08 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pat M,

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland. 

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline lionel183

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat

I recently found this old post and your subsequent one about John Price and was wondering if you got any further as I may be able to help a little and there may be a connection with my own family.

You've presumably found John James Price born 1865 to Rebecca Price, died 1866, in the civil registers. I've only seen the index but presumably the full birth entry shows Rebecca as unmarried.  If so, I guess that she was the daughter of Christopher Price and Jane Reynard who married at Dromsikin 13.8.1847.  Again I haven't seen the full civil reg entry but an index to the parish register survives.  That shows Christopher as from St Peter's Dublin and Jane Reinard from Castlebellingham.

My Prices were a few miles to the south of Castlebellingham in Drogheda but there was an old family story that suggests we were connected to Castlebellingham.  My gg grandfather Edward Price was born in Ireland about 1831 and I've found baptisms for some of his siblings in Drogheda.  Those baptisms show Edward's father as steward to one of the main local landowners just north of Drogheda, and later as a gardener, which is also how he is described on Edward's marriage cert in Liverpool in 1857.  When I saw that your Rebecca's father was a butler at Castlebellingham, I wondered if Edward and Christopher might be related.

Hoping to hear from you,
Lionel

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lionel,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Pat's email address is not working at the moment but I think I have managed to get a message to her to tell her of your new reply. Hopefully she will be back soon  :)

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pat m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lional, so sorry its taken this long to reply,but am new to this,and since I put the message on for Rebecca Price, I've changed my e mail address,and also got caught up in lots of other things.
It does look like Edward and Christopher Price could be related in some way,the only thing I have about him is his name on Rebecca's marriage cert,she was my great grandmother  married to Henry Glover,she was his 2nd wife,I have got a copy of a birth of John James Price born in Castlebellingham,I don't know if her father was born there,in1881 census she was in Warrington,with a son John age 20,arthur aged 7,my grandfather Joseph and a daughter Ellen,its possibly  her as its a big age gap between the 2 boys                                                            Regards Pat M

Offline lionel183

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 November 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, Pat.

I see that in the 1911 census your great grandmother is shown as born in Co, Louth and as there weren't many Prices in Co. Louth and no other Rebeccas appear, I think it's very likely she was the Rebecca who gave birth to John James in 1865.  I've just got copies of the certificates for his birth and death.  The birth cert confirms that Rebecca was an unmarried mum (no father named); the informant was Jane Price (present at the birth, her mark).  JJ's death cert says he was a "labourer's child".  (Another clue may be that in the 1911 census, where Rebecca Glover has amended the number of children she had had from 9 to 10, as if she didn't include JJ at first.)

I've also got a copy of Christopher Price & Jane Reinard's marriage cert.  Bride and groom are both shown as servants, so that would tie in with Rebecca's father being a butler later in life.  The groom's father is also shown as a servant; Jane's father was a process server, which I think means he served writs and summonses.

The only thing that doesn't quite fit is Rebecca's ages in the English censuses and at death which variously suggest she was born between 1842 and 1846 rather than after the 1847 marriage.  I wonder if she added a few years to her age when she married the older Henry Glover in case he thought she was too young??

I still haven't found a definite connection between my Price ancestors in Drogheda and yours in Castlebellingham.  If I do, I'll let you know.

Best wishes,
Lionel

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 November 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Back Pat  :)

I have just sent you a private Message (PM) about changing your emails address.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk