Author Topic: Northumberland: Thomas CUMMINS, born c1831  (Read 4058 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland: Thomas CUMMINS, born c1831
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 June 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Ok curiosity being what it is I'll ask about Thomas.

If the last you can find of Thomas for certain is the trial in 1843 why are you following him as I assume you cannot be a descendant of his or indeed of his siblings as we haven't exactly identified the right family for them either. I ask as the answer to that could provide an alternative suggestion as where to look to him maybe

Going back to the trial and the pardon I am not sure exactly what papers you have seen. I know you say there was mention in the Newcastle Courant but have you actually seen any court papers. The reason I ask this is I had an ancestor who was up before the court and to cut a long story short when the correct papers were found ( a common name) it was possible to positively identify my ancestor as the correct person as details of his trade, home and wife were all given
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 June 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
The interest is academic/doctoral research.  Trying to establish if the reformatory practises of Parkhurst Prison were successful and then, as a courtesy, posting the findings on a Family Tree outlet.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply, a worthy cause but alas don't think it will help as I had hoped
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.