Author Topic: Roderick McDonald Dingwell, Scotland  (Read 4677 times)

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roderick McDonald Dingwell, Scotland
« on: Thursday 25 June 15 18:56 BST (UK) »
Roderick was married and lived in Devon. He states he was born in 1851 in Dingwall. This lines up with a Roderick living with grandmother Ann Dumbar (Dunbar?) in 1861 in Dingwall and also in 1851 with the name abbreviated to Rodk.

I can not find any births or marriages which help me find his mother or father. I have followed all of the daughters in the 1851 census in the hope that one of these married a McDonald but no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McDonald Dingwell, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
grahamsittee, pre 1855 in Scotland as you  know, get tricky sometimes. I imagine you may not have Roderick's marriage reg to at least confirm his father's name?

Any clues from his children's names (re Scottish naming pattern often used) that may help?

When did he marry? Is 1861 the last Scottish census you have  him in?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 19:23 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Roderick states he was born in 1851 in Dingwall. This lines up with a Roderick living with grandmother Ann Dumbar (Dunbar?) in 1861 in Dingwall and also in 1851.

I can not find any births or marriages which help me find his mother or father. I have followed all of the daughters in the 1851 census in the hope that one of these married a McDonald

Hi Graham,

Although Roderick was born Dingwall, it may be that his parent's married elsewhere  ???

The Roderick who Monica has indicated (Roderick Alexander), his middle name may be Ann Dunbar's hubby's forename (father of Roderick's mother)???
Did you note if Ann Dunbar was married or widowed & where she was born as she may have moved from original place of birth  ???

What was Roderick's father's occupation on his marriage cert  ???

I don't want to dampen your spirits but Roderick may have been illegitimate although brought up with his father's surname  ???

I have a g grandmother born illegitimately, registered in her mother's maiden name but was known by her father's surname all her life from the info. I have gathered.
She used her father's surname on all legal documents such as her marriage cert. & her own children's birth certs......all 11 of them  :P

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
grahamsittee, pre 1855 in Scotland as you  know, get tricky sometimes. I imagine you may not have Roderick's marriage reg to at least confirm his father's name?

I am afraid the marriage information I have is only the record and does not show detail.

Any clues from his children's names (re Scottish naming pattern often used) that may help?

Roderick David 1879, William (Alfeander probably should be Alexander) 1883, Thomas Walter 1885, Frank Charles 1889, Albert 1894.
Marry Ellen 1880, Emma Jane 1881, Alice Maud (my grandmother) 1882

When did he marry? Is 1861 the last Scottish census you have  him in?
He married Ellen Gale in 1877 and he disappears after 1861. Family talk is that he went to sea.

This is Roderick here? www.geni.com/people/Roderick-McDONALD/6000000003714199268

Certainly looks like him.
Many thanks for the pointers

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

The Roderick who Monica has indicated (Roderick Alexander), his middle name may be Ann Dunbar's hubby's forename (father of Roderick's mother)???
Did you note if Ann Dunbar was married or widowed & where she was born as she may have moved from original place of birth  ???

I was wondering if that was the case.
In 1851 Ann is unmarried but there are 2 children that do not seem to fit. Roderick McDonald (1850) is one and there is a Betsy McMillan (1846).
In 1861 Ann is now a widow and is going by the name of McMillan.
Seems she may have had a couple of admirers

I don't want to dampen your spirits but Roderick may have been illegitimate although brought up with his father's surname  ???

I have a g grandmother born illegitimately, registered in her mother's maiden name but was known by her father's surname all her life from the info. I have gathered.
She used her father's surname on all legal documents such as her marriage cert. & her own children's birth certs......all 11 of them  :P

I am finding the same. Every line seems to have a twist or two and yes, it seems quite common for the mother to call the children by the fathers name.

Many thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Roderick David 1879, William (Alfeander probably should be Alexander) 1883, Thomas Walter 1885, Frank Charles 1889, Albert 1894.
Marry Ellen 1880, Emma Jane 1881, Alice Maud (my grandmother) 1882

Is it possible that you can eliminate names from the children which would be from his wife's line to narrow names to his own line  ???

Roderick, Alexander & Mary seem likely from his Scottish side & possibly Mary being his own mother  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if that was the case.
In 1851 Ann is unmarried but there are 2 children that do not seem to fit. Roderick McDonald (1850) is one and there is a Betsy McMillan (1846).
In 1861 Ann is now a widow and is going by the name of McMillan.
Seems she may have had a couple of admirers

Have you seen the actual record for 1851 or just a transcription as the "U" may well have been a "W" ???

It was not uncommon for Scottish women to revert to their maiden names after the death of their husband.

When searching the death of a deceased woman on SP (scotlandspeople), they can be located by either their maiden surname or marital surname.........a great tool if you don't know for sure if/who they married/remarried  ;D

Annie

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that you can eliminate names from the children which would be from his wife's line to narrow names to his own line  ???

Roderick, Alexander & Mary seem likely from his Scottish side & possibly Mary being his own mother  ???

His wife was called Ellen Gale and she was brought up by relative. I have not been back along that line yet but the "mother" who raised her was Mary so I guess that name came from that side.
I left out two late arrivals - Albert 1894 and Robina Gale 1895.

Thanks again