Author Topic: Immigrantion to America - Campbells & Collins family 1838  (Read 1432 times)

Offline DawnC86548

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigrantion to America - Campbells & Collins family 1838
« on: Friday 26 June 15 04:43 BST (UK) »
HI,

I am trying to track down my ancestors who traveled to American from Scotland in May, 1838.  Their ship, Frances, traveled from Greenock to NY.

The whole family came including two future son-in-laws and a niece.   Their names were: John Campbell & his wife, Mary Lunny (from Ireland). Their children and future husbands, Andrew Patton (from Shotts) and William Collins (maybe from Craigle) and his daughter, Mary Collins (?).

The main question is if there are records showing this family leaving Scotland?  The only time that I have placed John Campbell and his wife, Mary is the baptism of most of their children at St. Andrews Catholic Church in Glasgow in the early 1800s.   William Collins came with them.  There is a Mary Collins who came with the group who I suspect is William's daughter.   The reason that I suspect that is there is a 1860 US Census of a Mary Kelland (misspelt for Collins?) who was living with Margaret Collins (John & Mary's daughter) in Wisconsin. William had married Margaret in Wisconsin and died young in the late 1840s.

Any suggestions would be great.  John Campbell and his wife, Mary has been a road block.  The only other record of them is that they both died months of each other in 1849 Wisconsin.  They were in the early 60s when they went to America.

Thanks for your time,
Dawn