Author Topic: Hughes  (Read 10458 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizzy,  It appears you have a definite link between a John Hughes & Margt Robertson and a John Hughes & Ellen McCormick as per the death you have of Roseann Gray (nee Hughes).  That link appears to be because Margt died in 1875 and John remarried to Ellen.  That being the case, the death you have of John Hughes in 1869 is NOT the one you want.  The marriage of John and Ellen took place in 1876 so perhaps someone can find them in subsequent censuses and then maybe you can find his correct death.
It pays not to be too literal with the certificates you find.  The information disclosed is only as accurate as that known by the informant.  Ages can be notoriously out by significant amounts because those offering that information in some cases had not a clue.  The same goes for the names of parents who may have been long gone or left behind in Ireland for example.  The best point to start with is what you already know and that is that you have a definite link between John Hughes, Margt Robertson and Ellen McCormick and that means you don't have John's death cert yet.  I have experienced all these anomalies myself over the years and I now know that even though you expect a certificate to be positive proof its not always the case.  Sometimes you just have to put all the pieces together.  Don't despair, you're getting warmer.  :)
Sage.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 June 15 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizzy ...Is that your tree on Ancestry with the same family from the 1851 census ? do you think you could let us know what John Hughes occupation was from the certificates you have ..And also the address where he was living ... :)
Rosie

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 June 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, yes that's one of my trees on ancestry and I haven't updated that one in a long time. I have a more detailed private tree. on Roseanns marriage in 1860 she was living at 24 Rumford Street Glasgow & parents John Hughes & Margaret Robertson were still alive. His occupation was a boiler maker. On her death in 1890 shes a widow living at 301 Baltic St. John Hughes & Ellen McCormick are both deceased & Johns occupation was a railway engine driver.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 June 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Where was the parent's living at the time of their death any clues with the informants ...not having much luck here  ???

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 15 14:52 BST (UK) »
Haven't got a clue am afraid. I've given you all the info I have and I can't find a birth record for Roseann. All censuses I have for Roseann are after her marriage and can't find any census for the parents. So frustrating eh!!  Thanks for trying to help me though  :)

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
I don't have death records for any of the parents Rosie. The death record for Margaret that was suggested earlier was the wrong one. She was married to Patrick Hughes & her age would mean she wasn't born til 10 years after Roseann. The possible record I have for John Hughes death has him living at 136 Main Street Glasgow, says hes married but gives no spouse name. There are no parents names either & informant is Tom Eadie, Keeper of Museum so no clues there either. He was 47 on the death cert in 1869 making his birth 1822 so that's about the correct age for the John I'm looking for but nothing to verify it

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Yes it's getting a bit complicated and quite expensive  if you are using up lot's of credits if you are near the Scotlands People centre Edinburgh or Mitchell Library it would work out better for you ..You said you were looking for a birth year of 1822 for John Hughes that would make him 15 when his daughter was born ?
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 June 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Should have added you might never find a birth for Roseann unfortunately a lot of births were not registered before 1855 ..Just need to keep looking for something  ???

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 June 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
The censuses have Roseanns birth any where between 1837 & 1841 so was hoping it could be Johns death cert. I have been to Scotlands People loads of times & spent many hours going through records but no luck with any of that families missing info. I give up!!! I really appreciate you trying to help. Thank you  :)