Author Topic: Canonbie - Holehouse/Nether Hollows  (Read 4952 times)

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canonbie - Holehouse/Nether Hollows
« on: Friday 26 June 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am hoping someone has local knowledge of Holehouse and Nether Hollows in the Canonbie area? Are they the same place or near each other? Where are they located in relation to Gilnockie?

I have one generation who lived at Holehouse in the late 1700's, the next generation is listed as Nether Hollows, and the 3rd gen is a Hollowshillgate.

Thanks for any insight.
Canonbie: Armstrong, Steel(e), Murray, Carruthers, Dickson, Little, Elliot

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Canonbie - Holehouse/Nether Hollows
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
I don't have direct local knowledge of the area, but some of my ancestors were born and died in the 1700s/early 1800s at farms within a mile or two of Holehouse, namely at Bulmansknowe and Barngleish.

Having checked ScotlandsPlaces (subscription website at www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk ) I've found that in about 1850 Holehouse was officially described as: "On the east bank of Braidredland Burn. Two rows of houses situated on the main road having gardens attached and occupied by agricultural labourers. They are the property of the Duke of Buccleuch." The same document described Holehousehillgate thus: "Nearly 1/2 a mile south of Canonbie Mill. This name applies to a few houses one storey high with gardens attached and occupied by labourers. They are the property of the Duke of Buccleuch."

Holehouse is roughly about 1/4 mile west-north-west of Golnockie Bridge, as shown on the Ordnance Survey map (see Bing OS Maps) as Hollows Mill. I think the 'main road' mentioned is the route now marked in red on OS maps as the A7 trunk road. The comments at the following link are interesting in respect of your query - http://www.dumfriesshirecompanion.com/Canonbie.htm .

Regards
Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 15 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your research and links on this Ian.

If your people were in that area as well, I can recommend a fascinating book called, "Agricultural Improvement in the Scottish Enlightenment: The Third Duke of Buccleuch, William Keir and
the Buccleuch Estates, 1751-1812."

https://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842/6917

The hardcover book is quite expensive, but several universities have made it available for download.

Also interesting are the statistical accounts of the Canonbie Parish:

Statistical Account of 1791-99 written by the Rev. John Russel

Statistical Account of 1834-45 written by the Rev. James Donaldson

These are free to download if you set up an account on The Statistical Accounts of Scotland (also free). http://edina.ac.uk//stat-acc-scot/description.html

Perhaps you have already access these resources. :)

May I ask who your ancestors were, it sounds as though our people would have known each other, or at least known of each other. Mine are Armstrongs.

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
One more resource I found was a list Buccleuch Estate Farms:

http://relativelyscottish.com/buccleuch-estate-records/

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 15 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your links, Mona Lisa.

I knew about the Statistical Accounts (Old and New) and I've heard about the Agricultural Improvements book but never really looked at these closely. Sounds like I need to examine these quite closely. I've already noted connections to about four or five of the Buccleuch farms in the list you linked me to!

One of the main names I'm researching is Lorrain/Lorraine, of which there were very many in the Canonbie/Chapelknowe/Halfmorton area. The Lorrains had close connections to the Scott family (the Buccleuchs) in the 1600s and 1700s, especially my 6th great-grandfather who was servitor to Sir John Scott of Gorrinberrie and farm tenant of Francis Scott around 1707.

I do also have connections to Armstrongs in and around Canonbie, and to many who originated in (Old) Castleton up in Liddesdale. I'm happy to talk to you more about these if it will help.

Regards
Ian
Iandj

Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 15 01:14 BST (UK) »
Ian, looking for Gilnockie on a modern map I found reference to Gilnockie Tower and found it's location. Comparing the location on this old map:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400224
I see that it is right beside Holehouse (just to the top of the first N of Canonbie)

I think this map is dated 1801 so Holehouse was there at this time. Presumably the other places mentioned were elsewhere.

Alternatively many of these named farmsteads have disappeared over the years so their existence may be short lived, or as you suspect names have been changed.

I haven't located the other places on any maps as yet.

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
Ian,

I would very much like to chat with you about your Canonbie Armstrong's. Shall we start a new thread? Would you like me to share some of my info first?

Mona

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 15 01:35 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

I have actually been to Gilnockie, it was amazing! I took a picture of the area that I believe Holehouse once stood, so now I am trying to get into the fine details of every changing farm names.

Thanks for your research, that's a great map I hadn't seen yet. :)

Mona

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 15 02:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your link to the NLS map, Ruskie. It certainly gives me some good context.

Mona, I'd be delighted to chat about the Armstrongs though I am not yet sure if or where we connect.

Ian
Iandj