Author Topic: Canonbie - Holehouse/Nether Hollows  (Read 4953 times)

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canonbie - Holehouse/Nether Hollows
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 June 15 03:14 BST (UK) »
Ian,

My closest ancestors are not likely to intersect with yours as their immediate family was not prolific, but perhaps further back:

My great great grandfather was George Armstrong b. 1859 Canonbie, spouse Mary Jane Armstrong (nee Steele) b. 1866 Canonbie who lived at Forgebraehead, George began his life at Hollowshillgate, both he and Mary Jane died at Loaninghead and are buried in Canonbie. Their gravestone is my avatar.

George's father was Francis Armstrong b. 1826 Canonbie, spouse Mary Armstrong (nee Murray) b. 1831 Canonbie who lived their married life at Hollowshillgate, both died at Parkhead, both buried in Canonbie.

Francis' parents were Thomas Armstrong b. ?, and Grizel Armstrong (nee Armstrong) b. 1791 Holehouse, Canonbie, they were married in Canonbie 1816, Thomas died sometime between 1829-1841, Grace remained unmarried and the head of her house.

Grizel (Grace)'s parents were Francis Armstrong b. 1762 and Illian (Helen) Armstrong b. 1762 who lived at Nether Hollows.

-----------------

The above Mary Jane Armstrong (nee Steele) also had Armstrong's on her side;

Mary Jane's parents were Reginald Steel b. 1839 Watchhill (Cottages) and Jane Dickson b. 1838

Reginald's mother was Mary Armstrong (nee Armstrong) b. 1810 Canonbie Forgebraehead

Mary Armstrong b. 1810 Canonbie was a daughter to Thomas Armstrong b. 1786 and Margaret (Mary) Little b. 1791 Forgebraehead

Tried to keep that as simple as possible! I have done the most work on the Francis Armstrong b. 1826/Mary Murray line and certainly have more detailed information there.

I am currently working on filling in siblings, which will help immensely.

Over to you...

Mona
Canonbie: Armstrong, Steel(e), Murray, Carruthers, Dickson, Little, Elliot

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mona
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve been away.

None of those names match my connections at the moment. Most of my Armstrongs are in the [Old] Castleton area, where there was a bit of a concentration, and at Cavers.

However, Jane Armstrong (1819-1879) was born in Canonbie to Andrew Armstrong and June Murray. She married Francis Lorraine in 1843 and died at Moss-side, Canonbie in 1879. I don't have any details at present of Andrew or June but maybe there is a connection there.

Some other Armstrongs in the family were at Kirkpatrick-Fleming, about 10 miles to the west near Halfmorton.

Hope that helps!

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline mona_lisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking back in Ian.

I'll certainly put your info in a file folder, who knows?!

Mona :)
Canonbie: Armstrong, Steel(e), Murray, Carruthers, Dickson, Little, Elliot