Author Topic: Andrew McPhee Thurso area ?  (Read 13996 times)

Offline Mcphee1944

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew McPhee Thurso area ?
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Quite reluctant to post message as kept getting messages that I was doing things wrong. I hope this message is satisfactory...

I struggle with literacy and numerousy u so I do apologise.

Looking for any info on Andrew McPhee. Born around 1890's ? Numbers are pure guess work.  Married a Margaret. The children they had I believe are dead. I can't name them due to the carry on last time I posted.  They Resided in Thurso for a while?
I hope this message doesn't breech any protocols.

All people listed are dead.
Dates are approximate. I couldn't find what I needed online so I hope someone may know something.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McPhee Thurso area ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

How did you find out that Andrew married a Margaret ???

Are you descended from one of their children & if so what relationship would Andrew be to yourself e.g. grandfather, g grandfather  ???

You would need to post a bit more info. for us to go on.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Don't worry about making mistakes - we've all done it.  We'll get there in the end ;D

I see your other posts have now disappeared but I remember posting that the 1901 census has 6 Andrew McPhee entries all born in the 1890's

You previously had 2 Andrew McPhee's - one married to Margaret and the other to Isabella but I see this one is just Andrew and Margaret.  What was Margaret's maiden name?

You will need to use Scotlands People to find their marriage as their marriage cert will give their ages and also both sets of parents names.  This will help with any census search.  Marriage certs up to 1939 can be downloaded from the SP website but you have to purchase credits first

1911 census details cannot be given here due to copyright restrictions but that census is available on Scotlands People

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
You will need to use Scotlands People to find their marriage as their marriage cert will give their ages and also both sets of parents names.  This will help with any census search.  Marriage certs up to 1939 can be downloaded from the SP website but you have to purchase credits first

Hi Carole,

My thought was..........if McPhee is directly descended from Andrew & Margaret that the marriage & birth cert. for his/her nearest descendant would be easier for him/her (assuming McPhee) that you are new to the genealogy path  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

It's somewhat more complicated than that as previous posts tonight revealed.  I have sent you a pm with the background
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mcphee1944

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 15 06:33 BST (UK) »
I don't know Margaret's surname prior to marriage. The recently dead realative who's parents are Andrew and Margaret . Their marriage not on the birth certificate of the dead child they had. I think they were gypsies they may have travelled around. Thank you kindly for help. Not had best start on here. Still learning please bare with me

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 June 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your earlier posts mentioned a daughter born either 1941 or 1944.  As you know, her name cannot be given here but I have checked the free index on Scotlands People and there are births for her name in 1941 and 1945 (not 1944)

Depending on which birth is the correct one, buying a copy of the birth cert will give you Margaret's maiden name to help trace a marriage for her parents

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 June 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
I don't know Margaret's surname prior to marriage. The recently dead realative who's parents are Andrew and Margaret . Their marriage not on the birth certificate of the dead child they had.

Would it not be easier to get the "recently dead" relative's birth cert. as Margaret's full name (with maiden name) will be on it  ???

What do you know of the "recently dead" relative as you can post a few hints (which are allowed)

What was his full name (including any middle names), approx. yr of birth, where born (Town, City & Country)  ???

Is that a sibling of the "
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]recently dead[/color]" relative [/color]  ???

Annie

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 June 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know Margaret's surname prior to marriage. The recently dead realative who's parents are Andrew and Margaret . Their marriage not on the birth certificate of the dead child they had. I think they were gypsies they may have travelled around. Thank you kindly for help. Not had best start on here. Still learning please bare with me

Sad to hear your start with RC has been tricky  :-\  Don't be disheartened please. These things sometimes happen anywhere. Great group here who are happy to help and work with you, just because they have access or experience to information sources that you may not.

A key thing here on RC is the protection of people's privacy and information for those still living. RC like people being discussed to be TRULLY dead (in the nicest possible way  ::))

We need to help you find some hard fact to work from, and us in trying to help.

The only marriage I can see on SP between an Andrew McPhee (with wild cards for spelling variations) and a Margaret during 1910-1940, looks to have been in 1922. This Margaret showing as Maggie McMillan. Marriage in Knockbain, Ross & Cromarty.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk