Author Topic: Estate file Henry Edward Groom  (Read 2298 times)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Estate file Henry Edward Groom
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
How can I get a copy of this will Henry Edward Groom? He was found dead on 17th Dec. 1900 at Tugela Mouth. Number 30/1901 in the Master's Office, dated Sep. 1899, no mention on NAAIRS of an estate file. I would also like to see his death notice if possible.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Estate file Henry Edward Groom
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

If there is nothing on NAAIRS then it is possible that he did not leave an estate or it has not been added to the data base.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:09 BST (UK) »

You did not mention which Masters Office the file is held at.  Have you tried to contact them to ask for a copy of that file???

Each city has an office for the Master of the Supreme/High Court, I am not sure whether Tugela falls under Durban or Pietermaritzburg. 
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi I was given this info by a relative who told me it is located in PMB. Since I posted this I was referred to someone who has contacts in the office and they tell me the file does not exist. Perhaps someone is sitting on it?
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 12:21 BST (UK) »

Hi
You don't mention whether you tried the Masters Office or the Archives in PMB.  If you haven't tried the arcihives
I have found the folk in the PMB archives very helpful.  I emailed them a list to ask if the files were there and they replied very quickly.  Take a chance and do that route and see what happens.  All documents are supposed to go to the archives but not all do.

Pietermaritzburg Archives Repository

The Head
Fax: (033) 394 4353
E-mail: pmbarchives@kzndac.gov.za

or you could try here as Ulundi is up that way

Ulundi Archives Repository

The Head
Tel: (035) 879 8500.
Fax: (035) 879 8518
E-mail: uldarchives@dact.kzntl.gov.za

It is possible that the file does not exist as files have got lost especially from so long ago and from an area very rural at the time.  Was there something suspicious about his death?

Good luck

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you I shall do that.