Author Topic: Cuddy Family  (Read 37497 times)

Offline sabena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cuddy Family
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
 can someone point me in the right direction.
 the family story goes that Michael Joseph Cuddy(Joseph) was on his way to Christchurch for the birth of his baby in 1881. he was swept away while trying to ford a river,and his body was never found.
his wife Sarah Anne Cuddy married again to Arthur Sutton in 1888.  would she have had to have him declared dead before she married again.  where could i find that document. 
I have looked through drownings but did not find him. 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cuddy Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sabena,
I think your inquiry may do well on the New Zealand board.
Lots of knowledgeable helpers there  ;D

Shall I ask to have it moved to NZ for you?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 15 08:53 BST (UK) »
I think so Sue.  :)

After 7 years it would be presumed that the husband was dead and she would be free to marry again. Dates seem to bear that out.

Tragic story so there may have been something in the newspapers of the time.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 15 09:34 BST (UK) »
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=CHP18880215.2.18&srpos=3&e=--1875---1891--100--1----0Cuddy--

Notice of the re-marriage on Paperspast - have not seen mention of his death which is a little odd as there several mentions of near drownings.

Is this Michael's arrival in 1876? If so, It gives an alternative spelling of his name.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AMichael~%20%2Bsurname%3ACuddy~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22New%20Zealand%22

I see that there are two births registered to the parents Sarah Ann and Michael (Joseph) Cuddy, with the second child Albert Francis being registered in 1882.

This link has a curious similarity to your family story but the dates are different:

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/kilkenny/cemeteries/old-cem-kilbride.txt

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 15 11:19 BST (UK) »
This link has an 81 year old Michael Cuddihy dying in the 1931 Napier earthquake:
http://www.familytreecircles.com/hawkes-bay-1931-the-site-from-te-ara-encyclopedia-of-new-zealand-with-22056.html

There is a corresponding death index entry on the historical BDM site.

This age is a reasonable fit with the 27 year old man of the same name who arrived in Canterbury in 1876 as per previous links. However you may have different arrival info for your ancestor? Do you know when he was born? [See later post - not a good match for possible entry for family in 1871 census in England]

Given the potential variations of the names, this may not have been your ancestor, who may still have drowned in 1881, but it is perhaps worth a little exploration?

There does seem to have been more than one Michael Cuddihy however as the name is included in a list of unclaimed letters in 1863
http://www.dunedinfamilyhistory.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/DFHG-2013-August-newsletter.pdf

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
In the 1888 notice of Sarah Ann Cuddy's remarriage, she is said to be from Surrey.

The 1871 Census has the following family in Clapham, RG10/697 folio78 p19
Michael Cuddy 32 Labourer Roscommon Ireland
Sarah A Cuddy wife 27 Seamstress Surrey Clapham
Arthur Cuddy son 17 months Surrey Clapham

If this is your family, then this Michael Cuddy would have been 92 had he survived until 1931, so maybe looking on the old side to be the Michael Cuddihy who died in 1931 (age given as 81 and a resident of an Old Men's Home).

www.freebmd.org.uk has s a possible marriage in Wandsworth reg district, March quarter of 1864 - Michael Joseph Cuddy and one of the two possible bride is Sarah Ann Gardner.

This link mentions the 1876 arrival of the Fernglen, an immigrant ship from London, with the immigrants including a Michael Cuddy, coal porter, wife & family (2). I think the number refers to the number of children. Another possibility? Do you know when the family arrived & how old Michael was? The more info there is about Michael the easier it may be to find his death.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=WCT18760426.2.5

Offline sabena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 15 04:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all (SelDen, Ruskie, sparrett},  who replied re: Cuddy family.
Yes that was them from who married in Surrey England,in 1864. I believe that was them who arrived in N.Z. 1876.
Still looking for the death 1881/1882 of Michael Cuddy in N.Z., he would have been about 42 years old. Possibly if he drowned and no body recovered, there was no death notice.
That's why I thought Sarah's re-marriage, may have made some mention of it.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 15 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Sabena

It might be a good idea to post your query on the NZ board and then provide a link to this one (just copy and paste from the address bar at the top of your screen and include the link in your post). Earlier posts suggested it should be moved there but I am afraid I don't know how that feature works.

If you go to the Rootschat main page and keep scrolling down you will see the NZ board which has some v expert researchers who seem to be able to sniff out those hard to find ancestors.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 15 05:41 BST (UK) »
Sabena,
Do you have any New Zealand full printouts (certificates) of birth, death, marriage at all  in connection with this couple?

This is the information contained on them.

http://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/EN/heritage/familyhistory/bdm/Pages/bdm.aspx

Do you have certificate or index entry evidence of their marriage in UK or elsewhere?

Your post needs to be on the NZ board.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk