Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 99 - Cheltenham Ladies College - id by Sugarbakers  (Read 3382 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 99 - Large brick thing
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 June 15 18:19 BST (UK) »
Is it Sandstone?

Cotswolds limestone, I think.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 June 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Well beyond 'well done' or 'inspired', the only point of identification is the little outbuilding on the corner, nothing short of brilliant. By the look of it most of the building has been redeveloped. Nice to see the trees in the main road are still there. Now Knowing it's Cheltenham Ladies College, I Googled it and the original photo is there. I wonder if Cazza got it from there.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 June 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Sugarbakers on finding the "Large Brick Thing" which isn't brick  ::)  ;D   Brilliant..
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 June 15 18:54 BST (UK) »
I've probably driven down that main road several times. Wouldn't have noticed anything, Cheltenham road system is a nightmare.

I wonder if anyone has wondered about why the old photographs look so dirty (coal fire heating) and yet now clean and pristine . You have to be of a certain age. I was probably one of the first witnesses of the cleaning up of buildings. In 1963 I was auditing a client and went to lunch at The Coal Hole. Turning into The Strand. Two buildings had scaffolding and covers. One was being cleaned with shot blasting and the other with a high pressure water jet.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
... the chimneys look right  :)

I spotted the chimneys in this one  http://www.ckcsonline.org.uk/images/LCollege.JPG  which are to the right in our picture

... and of course, the Gentlemens College (as it was) came up the other day  ;)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:31 BST (UK) »
Fantastic find Sugarbakers and so fast :o Once again I've only just found the

post ???

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 June 15 08:46 BST (UK) »

Now Knowing it's Cheltenham Ladies College, I Googled it and the original photo is there. I wonder if Cazza got it from there.

No, I can assure all the WAIs that I have and will post are photos that I own.  How they originated, I cannot tell you, but suffice to say they are all now in my possession as you can see from the attached photo. 

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 June 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Sugarbakers on finding the "Large Brick Thing" which isn't brick  ::)  ;D   Brilliant..

I'm a girl…what do I know…  :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 June 15 08:59 BST (UK) »
... the chimneys look right  :)

I spotted the chimneys in this one  http://www.ckcsonline.org.uk/images/LCollege.JPG  which are to the right in our picture

... and of course, the Gentlemens College (as it was) came up the other day  ;)

Once again your superb "powers of detection and observation" have deservedly scored another notch on the Honour Roll!  8) 8) 8)  Much appreciated!  :) :) :) :)

Caz