Author Topic: Hull Fire Brigade prior to 1974  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hull Fire Brigade prior to 1974
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping members can help with a research project and possible book on the fire brigade in Hull.
I'm interested in the period before 1974 (when Humberside took over).

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any photos or other material you'd be prepared to let me use (copyright acknowledged, etc).

Photos taken at stations- perhaps at open days or even picture taken at fires would be great. 
Of particular interest are the old West and North Hull fire stations:
The old West Hull was at White City on Anlaby Road (round the corner from the current one in Calvert Lane) and the old North Hull was at Grove House on the corner of Beverley Road and Clough Road.
Both these were opened during the last war and replaced by the current ones in the 1950's and 60's.
Any other info related to the pre-1970's period would be most interesting.

Many thanks,
David Jessop
Jessop and McDonald of Hull.
Jessop, Kirklees area of West Riding.
Mann, Reece,Winn of Hull.
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hull Fire Brigade prior to 1974
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi David....They might have something of interest here if you contact them:

http://www.carnegiehull.co.uk/resources.php

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Carol.
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 19:02 BST (UK) »
Your request has caused me to spend quite a while to mentally shift tidbits of memory around to see what I could recall from my childhood.  Unfortunately it's not much and it's not what you require.

During the 1940s and 1950s we lived off Spring Bank West near Calvert Lane and my mother joined the Auxiliary Fire Brigade sited on Anlaby Road corner of Calvert Lane.   I remember my father didn't sound too pleased with the idea when she first broached the subject and as I never seemed to do what I wanted I was surprised a few days later seeing her setting off for the interview.  There was a delay of several days before she found that she'd been accepted and I think that would be the time I discovered that she was 5ft 6.1/2 inches tall.

It seemed a long time before she received her full uniform and I especially remember the shoes which weren't the shiny gleaming footwear worn by the soldiers we used to see practicing marching up and down the main road.  These were dull black pimply leather, extremely heavy and the leather was thick, hard and unforgiving.  I remember she spent hours each day "bulling" the shoes using spit & polish which she rubbed in with the bone handle of one of our dinner knives in an attempt to get a  remove the "pimples" and get a smooth sheen; apparently we were supposed to be able to see a reflection of our faces in the toecap if she bulled them sufficiently.  I've never seen a photo of my mother in her auxiliary FB uniform.  I'm pretty sure she would have bought a copy of a group photo if there had been one

I've had a look through the Hull Daily Mail newspapers on GenesReunited to see if I could find an advert for recruits specifically for our local fire station but there were too many general calls for volunteers.  I did see that the local Priory Cinema at the other end of Anlaby Road was also used to request people to volunteer. 

Below is a 1944 call for recruits to defend the city but at that time we were in Brierfield, Lancashire awaiting the birth of one of my brothers.   

"Hull Daily Mail East Riding of Yorkshire, England

21 Mar 1944
HULL FIRE GUARD SERVICE

HULL FIRE GUARD SERVICE Appeal for Volunteers The Fire Guard film was again shown, together with news and propaganda films at the Priory Cinema, Hull. The attendance of the public was particularly good, no doubt indicating the growing interest being taken"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,
What a great reply- it's those personal recollections that make all the difference-
I've found loads of "official" archive material ranging from the National Archives in Kew to the various local ones (Hull History Centre, Carnegie, newspapers, etc) but this is the kind of stuff that really brings it to life.
Many thanks
David

PS: when I was a child, we lived off Spring Bank West and Willerby Road so I know exactly the area you're talking about.
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks David,
I thought there might be a few more contributions but on reflection it was a minority occupation so possibly it would be rare for family researchers to find one in their family.

Presumably you've seen there's a few old fire brigade postings in "Hull, the Good Old Days" on Facebook?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Rena,
I'm not on Facebook so I'm not familiar with that content- is there a special section or a general "old Hull" section?  I suppose I ought to sign up and see!
David
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 July 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
There's over 18,000 people on this Facebook page: "Hull: The good old days"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/278450892200994/?fref=ts

and there's over 9,000 on this Facebook page:  "Old Hull"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldhull/?fref=ts

You can't make a posting without joining a group.  This is to keep spammers off the sites.

You'll notice under their heading that there's a small magnifying glass on the top right hand side.  This means that you can search for keywords instead of trolling through the postings.

There's the same search facility in the separate sections, e.g. if you click on the heading "Photos" for instance , you can also search using keywords.

Good luck with your quest.

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,
You've done a fantastic job (and contrary to your first reply in which you said it's not what I want)!
I followed your guidance and found around half a dozen great photos which I hadn't seen before (I've seen many, perhaps most, of the published ones during my quest). 
Of those is one of the old North Hull fire station which I had regarded as something of a "Holy Grail"!
Many thanks,
David
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry