Author Topic: Surveyors of Taxes - Victorian and Edwardian  (Read 1414 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surveyors of Taxes - Victorian and Edwardian
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
Do you have ancestors who were Surveyors of Taxes, or otherwise connected to the Inland Revenue department, in Victorian or Edwardian England? Have you had difficulty tracing their movements? Are any of their dates difficult to resolve?

I have in my possession, and am currently working steadily through, a complete set of the Quarterly Record of the Association of Tax-Surveying Officers, which was founded in 1902 (and still exists, as the Association of Revenue & Customs, of which I am a member).

The early editions contain a lot of material which may be of considerable genealogical interest - in particular lists of promotions, "removals" (i.e. geographical removals, not dismissals), retirements (including occasional biographies on retirement), deaths of serving and retired officers and such like, not to mention regular lists of all the office-holders of the association, with some residential rather than office addresses given.

I am currently working up a very basic index to the persons mentioned in the QR. I shall have to stop at a relatively early date, to ensure there is no risk whatever of including any living person (as union membership is defined as "sensitive personal data" for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts); and I shall also need to secure the current Committee before I can make my index generally available. However, that is my current intention.

In the mean time, if you are having difficulty with any of your ancestors who are known to have been Surveyors of Taxes, do please contact me by Private Message and I will let you know if I have anything on them.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright