Author Topic: William Smith b1892  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Smith b1892
« on: Saturday 27 June 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out what happened to my grandfather William Smith b1892 place unknown,  married my Grandmother in 1916,  Doris Mable Wilding,  at  St Bartholomews in East Ham,  address stated for both, 13 winters Avenue,  East Ham.  William was in the Army at that stage, noted as a Bombardier in Thr RHA.  William left the family home when my Dad,  Dennis George Smith b1929, was about 4/5 yrs old.  The only living relative is my Dads sister in Belgium but she does not know much other than she thinks he was in the Kings Royal Rifles.  Any help would be appreciated. I do know the family lived at Lonsdale avenue, East Ham for a few years.  my Gran Doris remarried and became and died as a Southgate,  she had a son Eric Southgate. Williams Dad was a George smith, labourer.  That's as much as I know.

alan

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith b1892
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan, did you have an earlier thread re William as it rings bells? As you would appreciate with a name like Smith and no idea of pob it really is a task to research,  in 1901 East Ham their is a William aged 11 b Barking with parents George occ Coal Porter and Elizabeth at High Street East Ham, but this is really clutching at straws!
Census ref RG13/1607/73/52
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard,  yes my wife did for me on the beginners board,  though would try Essex board as that is what they came under.

Yes it is really difficult,  I did find that one but not knowing the pob I cannot be sure,  but it is funny as my mum,  who now has dementia did say once that George could lift a very heavy bag of coal above his head,  maybe that is a clue and it is a link.  If I cannot get any further I will have to wait for the 2021 census 😒
Alan

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again from what I can read into the 1911 index a William Smith 21 b Barking is in Gravesend in the Army?
Again though, I really feel for you!
Keyboard86

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that keyboard,  where did you search this,  I'm on Ancestry as a member,  Appreciated,  alan.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that keyboard,  where did you search this,  I'm on Ancestry as a member,  Appreciated,  alan.

Well he is on there possibly wrong or first Regiment
Keyboard86

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 June 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
I found it,  thanks for your help 👍🏻

Alan

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 August 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Still no luck with finding info on my Grandad William,  he may have been born in Forest Gate, Essex but not certain.

Needle in a Haystack as such a common Name but there must be a way.

I did check electoral roll and William was registered with the family up to 1933 then in 1934 he has gone,  last address was Lonsdale Ave,  426,  East Ham 1931 to 1933 he is listed with his family.  My gran married again in 1942 so obviously waited 7 yrs for missing person to be presumed dead.

William William what happened to you 😕

Alan

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Just an Update,

I obtained Doris Mabel Smiths (formerly Wilding) certificate of Marriage to Arthur Cecil Southgate in 1942,  She has put herself as Spinster (she was not as was married to William)  Arthur was down as Batchelor but think he was married before.  Doris's Father was down as James Smith deceased,  her father was James Wilding not Smith,  the witnesses were her Daughter Phylis and her husband their surname was Estur.  This is another intreging find as were they deceiving the authorities by putting false information.  This has made it even more difficult as we were hopeing that Doris would be down as Widow or Divorced.

Alan