Author Topic: Alexander Tytler Miller b 1st May 1809  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Tytler Miller b 1st May 1809
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 June 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, unfortunately the middle name of Tytler seems to have been dropped after Alexander's baptism.  I can now see this family in the Tynemouth area 1841, or at least siblings William, Helen and youngest brother Allan but can't see any likely matches in northern England for the others: Jane, George and John Robert.  Do you have Cecilia?

Cecil Millar, daughter of Robert Millar & Jane Low born 13 Feb 1803 Edinburgh City
Cecilia Miller, dau of Robert Miller, married Charles Robertson 16 Nov 1827 Edinburgh, Canongate

685/Edinburgh, Lady Yester
4 Robertson Close
Charles Robertson   35 Painter Journeyman
Cecilia Robertson   35
Margaret Robertson   7
All born Midlothian

Cecilia Robertson/Miller died 19 Apr 1842 Edinburgh

brigau

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 June 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
If William, Helen and Allan are in Long Benton, Tynemouth in 1841, could this be brother Alexander and elder sister Jane at Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne?

1841 Northumberland, Newcastle upon Tyne
Westgate   
Alexander Miller 35, Engine Wright, Scotland
Jane Miller 40, Scotland

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 June 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Br1gau..  We think that is our William in Newcastle and you may well have found the elusive Alexander :D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 June 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hurray! Well done, Br1gau  ;) Looks promising for Alexander indeed...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm descended from Helen Miller 1808 - 1850, I have some information on her brothers William and Allan but not a great deal. William lived in the Lamesley/Hazelrigg/Whickham and Pelton areas and Allan lived in Hazelrigg/Newcastle/Killingworth area. Helen died in Dunston 1850, her family Allen Miller and John Reavley lived Kibblesworth/Houghton le Spring and Seaham area. I'd be interested in hearing from you if you'd like to share information.

Offline joejl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 November 16 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I've not looked at this site in a long time: Rob Taylor made me aware of the recent message threads about the Edinburgh Robert Miller'sfamily some of  whose children moved to the North East of England and via one, Ellen/Helen, we are both descended.
Reading this thread: Alas the Alexander Miller in Newcastle in 1841, an Engine Wright, seems to also be the, Sterling born, Alexander who in 1851 is lodging in Benwell area of Newcastle as an Engineer and, (looks like), a widower. If from Sterling then he is not the Alexander Tytler Miller who has disappeared from the records.
Question: have any of the readers of these threads who are Miller descendants taken an autosomal DNA test or have you considerd doing so? I have test result via Ancestry.co.uk for myself for my Brother and for a cousin who is a Miller descendent. If any of you have taken or take These tests particularly if a known Miller relative also took one it would, have a significant probability of identifying a genetic match between us and to other unknown descendants of the same family in the last 5 or 6 generations who have already taken tests and also share small amounts of DNA with us.
JOEL