Author Topic: Searching for my great-aunt's family in America  (Read 3307 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Searching for my great-aunt's family in America
« on: Sunday 28 June 15 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi - I posted a couple of years ago when I started out this search in 2009: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=407742.msg2755416#msg2755416 and then again in 2012: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=610790.msg4606232#msg4606232

This is what I know so far about her in America, and once it hits 1915 - its a brick wall, so I would love some help if possible in breaking it down.

So, Great-Aunt was Catherine/Kate Grant b. 1879 Tipperary, Ireland to Patrick & Johanna Grant (nee Grady) - she goes out to America in early 1899, ends up pregnant by October of that year. Son, Charles Swank b. 10 June 1900 in Philadelphia Almhouse - father is named as Charles Swank on baptism in All Saint's Chapel owned by the Almhouse (someone on Facebook found that for me). Apparently the father died in 1904 - can't find record of that or marriage, if there was one to Catherine.

In 1906, Catherine/Kate & Charles Swank come to Ireland - she leaves him here until late 1911 with her parents. In 1909 in Philadelphia, she marries William Alexander Salmon..marriage licence has her as Kate Swank - dates of birth are out a bit for her, but its definitely her. Have them on 1910 in Philadelphia. As I said, she comes back to Ireland in 1911 for Charles, and on the immigration, he is known as Charles Salmon. Fare paid by the US Navy. In 1915, the family are in New York - as per the 1915 NY State Census. William was in the Navy. And after that, I can't find a thing on them.

Cheers,

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my great-aunt's family in America
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 15 01:29 BST (UK) »
Someone had given you information a couple of years ago that William Salmon had married again (probably he and Kate were divorced??), and suggested that perhaps Kate and Charles returned to Ireland.  Did you check on that?

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
I've checked those two posts and no where does it suggest William remarried, but that's quiet possible as well. I have seen a William A Salmon in the 1930/1940 in Illinois so that could be him.Yes, I've checked immigration for the whole family & also Kate/Charles going back to Ireland.
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 11:10 BST (UK) »
Could this be William?
WWI Abstract
William Alexander Salmon, enlisted New York Navy Yard
5-21-15
Age at entrance: 26 years 9 months
Home address:  Jamacia Square.  Town: Floral Park, Long Island, New York
Looks like he worked in New York in 1917 and Illinois in 1918.  Discharged in 1919, San Francisco, California

It appears that the village of South Floral Park is in the town of Hempstead.

Cook County (Illinois) Marriage Index
William A. Salmon, born c1890, married Edna Feglow in Chicago, Illinois July 3,  1920.

1930 North Chicago census
William A Salmon, age 40, born Georgia, father born North Carolina, mother born Georgia.  He was a W.W. veteran.  Shown with his wife, Edna, and children.

Cannot find Catherine/Kate nor Charles.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder how many William Salmons were in Philadelphia c1916?  There is an unclaimed telegram for a William A. Salmon according to the March 30, 1916 Philadelphia newspaper.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01flf/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
The 1899 passenger lists states that Kate Grant, age 19, born Tipperary, was going to her cousin, James? Tobin?, Germantown.

Have you ever tried to track him, to see if she may have lived near him after 1915?

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa - She also had a brother go to Philadelphia, have tracked him and his own family to present day, but none of them know where Catherine ended up  :( I actually thought that said Jennie Tobin, lol. Her other siblings I've tracked, and from what I can gather none of them married a Tobin but it could be on her mothers side of the family, which I haven't tracked. Will have a look for James, and see what comes up  :)

Also the WW1 Abstract you put up, I think is him - have that saved. Its funny if he did marry that Edna Feglow (kind of looking that way), then there either has to be a death or a divorce for Catherine/Kate

Annie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 July 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie:

Looking at it again, James could easily be Jennie.

There were a few James Tobin's in Philadelphia around that time, but after a somewhat quick search, I did not see any reference to Tobin and "Germantown".

One would think there should be a death or divorce for Catherine/Kate, but maybe he didn't tell anyone that he had previously married?  Maybe she went back to Ireland for some reason, without first obtaining a divorce?  Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with New York records and I'm not very good with Pennsylvania information either.  Perhaps another RootsChatter might be able to find more?

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi! Imagine the scandal if he committed bigamy lol. I haven't a clue about American records - am in Ireland. Hoping someone else will know, but thank you for your help  ;)