Author Topic: Could these photos both be the same person?  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could these photos both be the same person?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
Malky...I think the image you are referring to has been manipulated so it can't be relied on too heavily.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 16:16 BST (UK) »
"I think the image you are referring to has been manipulated so it can't be relied on too heavily."

I can see no signs of manipulation of the area between the eyebrow line and the hair line. Left, high hairline, with hair combed down towards eyes, partially covering extended forehead, right, low hairline with hair combed back towards crown of head.

Regards

Malky

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Henning,
     They are certainly very alike but there are differences. Could be because the young man has his head turned slightly, or aging process.
     The young man has more pronounced cheekbones than the older chap.
     The young man has quite a high bridge to his nose, coming down to a sharpish point, nostrils not too obvious, especially with his head held quite high and a low camera angle.
     Older chap's nose is bigger, fleshier at the tip (although that could be age) and the nostrils are very obvious although his head isn't held as high or the camera angle quite as low as the young man's photo.
     Older chap has much bigger ear lobes than the young man and 'Flattybasher' has already mentioned the difference in the depth of the brow.
     For me are the main differences are the nostrils and forehead.
               Regards,     Dod.

PS. This post will cross with 'Treetotal' Not sure what she means. The old chap with his hair combed back has a much shallower brow than the young man with his curly mop flopping onto his forehead.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 July 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
I don't think that they are the same person as the man on the left has a higher brow, his hair is further back than the man on the right. I presume that the man on the right is older. It looks as if his nose has been broken & he's had a difficult life. Both men have blue eyes. The man on the right has a cleft chin while the other  man's is more rounded. From a woman's point of view the man on the left is better looking so NO I don't believe they are the same person at all, but they are related.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline MadaboutRoses1883

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 July 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
Most probably brothers or could be father and son?

The ears are not the same, and as i understand, ears stay the same throughout life. They both have different ears. One has attached lobes and the other definitely has longer unattached lobes. The ears on 1 stick out more also.
And i would say the first image has more deepset eyes than the 2nd image.
LANCASHIRE: 
Arkwright. Weston. Higginson. Hargreaves. Glass. Johnson. Colbeck. Edmonson. Marsden. Bateson. Park/Parks/Parkes. Fern. Appleby. Purchase.  Riden/Riddens.
Gornall/Gornell/Gorner.Lancashire. Preston/Ribchester).
Kirkby Lonsdale/Kendal/Lancashire. Routledge.Atkinson.
DORSET:Wareham.Green.Kerly/Kerley

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 July 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Interesting! Thanks for all the help on this topic, I think I can now safely rule out this being who I thought it was. Can anyone make a guess as to the age of the individual in the first photo? (i.e. the one taken from the side) I think he looks a little too old to be a son and he only had one brother who the family didn't know, but if I had an approximate age to work with I might be able to speculate a little more!

Thanks,

Henning

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 July 15 00:58 BST (UK) »
They certainly look similar, even allowing for the non-receding brow!

That may be an optical illusion anyhow, owing to the different angle the picture has been taken from.

Facial structure around the eye socket and nose is, I'd say, identical, as is shape of the chin.
Hairline is very similar.  Both have a penetrating gaze.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 July 15 01:51 BST (UK) »
I find it hard to establish ages of people back then. I would think that the man on the left is aged in his late 30's while the man on the right is aged in his 50's. He could be the father. The older man has a wispy moustache which really ages him, so hard to tell. He also looks like he's had a hard life. Both are great photos. Were the photos taken at the same time?
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline HenningWalker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 July 15 10:04 BST (UK) »
The man on the right is definitely my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather and he was born in 1860, so if he is about 50 in the photo it would put the picture around 1910 which I think seems realistic. The first one, who is still unknown, came out of a photo album which was compiled in 1924 and all of the photos in it were taken between 1918 and 1924 (at least the annotated ones were). If he is, as you say, in his 30s, that would put the date of birth for this man in 1894. Interestingly, my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather did have a son born in 1894 called Heth Jones who we don't have any photographs of, so it seems highly likely that this could be his son Heth... Heth died in 1940 when he was hit by a motorcycle during a blackout and I later found out that he was discharged from the military because he was partially sighted (perhaps also a factor as to why he didn't see the motorcyclist coming). There might still be people on his side of the family who still remember him if that's the case, although I'm yet to get in contact with them. It might be "clutching at straws" but now I have a better idea of who it could be, I at least know where to start looking for an answer. There were also ten children in this generation of the family (i.e. my Great-Great-Great-Grandfathers children) and there were pictures of at least six of them in this album, so it would make sense that there is one of him as well.

Thanks for all the help on this thread!

Henning