Author Topic: seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton  (Read 16070 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
It might help to try and establish the period when the photos were taken of the donkeys and carts etc. My guess is c1920s but may be earlier than that. Any ideas?

I wondered whether the goods being delivered could have been bread products. The basket on the top of the boxes in one photo is the sort of carrier used for bread. Would they have used boxes to deliver this then?

I am more inclined to think it was farm produce but the one photo is taken outside the bakers.

1911 census has a baker in Hurstpierpoint by the name of Frederick John Heathorn. He lives in High Street, Hurstpierpoint with his family which includes a daughter, Violet Amy Heathorn age 13. Frederick and wife both born Brighton.

It also occurred to me that may be the windmill was used commercially by someone in the family.

Jo.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi to all who are contributing to this thread.

It is going great guns, however I cant keep up and must apologise for not replying to questions and  thanking you all quick enough.  I have limited time for research as I work full time.  I think I may have thrown too much into the pot  and gone off on too many tangents and I  cannot look at everything quick enough.

I have printed out the thread  and see a questions I have not replied to, sorry. What I feel I should do is take it slowly and work on one thing at a time.  So first the location of the house by  contacting East Sussex FH Society. I think maybe I should take a pit-stop while I gather my thoughts/facts.  It goes without saying that I  thank you all for the help and advice.  To give up your time to help on this seemingly impossible task of "find the family"  is much appreciated. 

I thought long and hard about how I should say this and took advice from a fellow Rootschatter.  I didn't want to upset anyone, its not that I want to end this one just maybe slow down a bit. If it is OK I will get back if I find anything.

Jo,  the Album is dated October 4th 1921.  A couple of pages have  dates 1929 and 1932 under donkey pics.

I wont give up on this one, it may take a while but I am pretty confident with what I have got it may be possible to find the family.  I will just have to remember "Rome wasn't Built in a Day".

Cheers Jane :D

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
dont apologise to the board....  we often put a question in debate but put them as a form of creative   mind thinking such as a question to then set a tangent for other ways to solve problems for folk.....  but at the same time give you some background to aspects otherwise not considered.......    from this post  like so many others we endeavour to expand our own prose of knowledge as we challenge ourselves to accumalate wealth........ ;)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
dont apologise to the board....  we often put a question in debate but put them as a form of creative   mind thinking such as a question to then set a tangent for other ways to solve problems for folk.....  but at the same time give you some background to aspects otherwise not considered.......    from this post  like so many others we endeavour to expand our own prose of knowledge as we challenge ourselves to accumalate wealth........ ;)

Thank you.  I understand what you mean.  If you all continue with this thread  I will obviously be watching and taking notes ;D

Jane ;)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane,

Sorry to hear you are struggling to cope with this! At least we all came up with some information which shed more light on the photos and family!

You might be interested to know that a few years ago I had a message from a lady on Genes Reunited. She asked me what relation ***** was to me. I replied and told her, then to my amazement, she told me she had been in a secondhand shop in Bristol and bought a bag of old photos, documents and papers there. When she looked at them, she found a number for one family local to Bristol. She then searched on GR to see if anyone had these in their tree. I did and the result was that she posted all the items for my family to me. She wouldn't take any payment, not even the postage costs. When I received them I was thrilled as there were photos, funeral cards, memorial cards and more. I discovered that in one line, their two sons were killed in WW1. I didn't know that before. These are now treasured possessions and I am so grateful she took the time and trouble to find me.

I will slow down but do post details of any particular areas you would like me/us to research.

Jo.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

So much for me leaving this one alone for a while ::)  Obviously I am still watching and just had to reply. 

It's not that I am struggling understand  the bits and pieces. What I have been given by you all  is  immensely useful,  but  I cannot devote enough time to further research your tips and pointers at the moment.  So I don't feel I can do your help justice at the moment :'(

Wow, that was brilliant about the photos etc you got, that is what I would like to do with this album.
Also it would be great if someone found my stolen photos and contacted me!  I live in hopes ;D

Don't worry I will be back to this. You not heard the last from me on this subject ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jane ;)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 20 July 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
I can't leave this one alone. Despite best efforts location of house eludes me. Contacted many people, waiting for replies. Googled everything I can think of.
Have however made some progress, thanks to link john915 sent , pics from regency society the donkeys on beach are in Brighton. Also a car in one pic has PN registration which is Brighton 1903-1930. The donkeys may have connection with family or they just photographed donkeys coz they loved them.

The views in here about house differ, Brighton or Hurstpierpoint. The donkeys are delivering in Hurstpierpoint that checks with John's  link. The elephant is in. Hurstpierpoint that's checks but no record I can find why it was there.  I think Jo's windmill in Patcham is mine.

Without ancestry subs I can't check the families that Jo and others have put in the frame. Will have to do a pay as you go.

Just thought would let you know your suggestions and links helped. I feel confident with time and patience I will make headway. Slow but sure wins the race.

Any commets will be gratefully received. Another dozen pair of eyes always help.

Jane

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 03 April 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
I was looking at a book in the big main Jubilee Library in Brighton, which has a lot of local history books, "The Vanishing Villas of Preston and Withdean", compiled by Selma Montford, Jacqueline Pollard and Robert Sanderson, published by Brighton Books publishing.  This book has a lot of old original photographs, and a map of where they all were.

Your photographs reminded me of those huge villas near Preston Park.  People who lived around there are likely to have been buried in St Peters Churchyard, Preston Park.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanishing-Villas-Preston-Withdean-Montford/dp/1901454002/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491246290&sr=1-1&keywords=the+vanishing+villas+of+preston+and+withdean

Offline julie7239

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 03 April 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
delete.