Author Topic: Millisle Presbyterian Church records  (Read 7825 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Millisle Presbyterian Church records
« on: Monday 29 June 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
For the benefit of our grandchildren I am still pursuing my late wife's ancestors My query is are the records for the Millisle Presbyterian Church available in a form suitable for viewing in Australia?  I know for sure her direct ancestor was Robert Keenan Xnd 5th Sep 1839 at Millisle his father was John and I was told no mother listed   There was a John Xnd at Millisle 2nd Mar 1806 who could be that John and I do not have his parents As I have just about wrapped up the descendants of Robert I was hoping to start on another branch hoping that John was married at Millisle and to find out Roberts siblings surely he must have had some, Another query I have is I have been told that one cannot find burials in the Millisle Presbyterian parish records is this correct?
Thank you Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Millisle Presbyterian Church records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
I don’t think Millisle Presbyterian church records are on any of the usual pay to view sites. There is a copy in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast, but a personal visit is generally required to access them. Millisle Presbyterian Baptisms start in 1793, marriages in 1805.

In general Presbyterians don’t keep burial records, so it is likely that no records exist for that graveyard. So if there’s no gravestone, you may not find any trace of their burial place. Be aware that people weren’t always buried in the graveyard attached to their church. And that Presbyterians were sometimes buried in Church of Ireland graveyards. So it can be worth searching other graveyards in the area.
Elwyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/index.htm
https://sites.google.com/site/millisleandbally/church-history

Plus.. if you are in Oz looking for Irish stuff try the Google Engine for Ireland, much better results!

www.google.ie
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Dennis, not knowing what you have, i went off starting with the Irish Tithe Applotment Books/records for Donaghadee civil parishhttp://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/donaghadee-parish.php#.VZI9EkuDoYU

Keenan, Saml. Townland: Ballyraer Year: 1834

As Ros Davies in Australia describes it ‘Ballyraer   Donaghadee . alternate spelling for Ballyrawer townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 186’ in another place entry she says ‘Carrowdore Castle is in this townland; 7km S of Donaghadee; 336 acres.......’ I add its 3 miles away SSE by road, about half way to MountStewart or Greyabbey

I reminded myself Millisle itself is a village in the townlands of Ballymacruise & Ballycopeland. and Griffiths valuation lists nearly 30 years ie 1863 later the Keenans living in the parish were in Ballycopeland [Robert at map ref 23]. Ballyhay [Robert at map ref 41]. Ganaway [Hugh at map ref 41]. each can be looked up to describe the homestead, but the fun bit is the map where the boundaries and the homestead are shown usually.. However the connection to Ballyrawer doesn’t show up.

Ros Davies is someone who emigrated to Australia and who many years ago founded a Co Down website which she continues to expand. The website is http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies
I started with her heading for Keenan in Donaghadee parish
Miss   Eliza   KEENAN . Donaghadee daughter of James Keenan;aged 17 married John Tennant 8 Apr 1853 at Carrowdore CR that could be a relative of Samuel eg a neice all in Ballyrawer  Which church gets interesting
Hugh KEENAN . Donaghade of Ganaway; with Gilbert Stephenson leased 2 houses & 8 acres in 1863 from James Allen GV
Hugh   KEENAN . Donaghadee husband of Eliza Jane Morrow ; father of margaret Morrow Keenan b. 29 Jul 1872 CR
John   KEENAN . Donaghadee husband of Ellen Gibson; father of Samuel b. 14 Jul 1868 & Robert b. 26 Feb 1871 CR
John   KEENAN . Newtownards & Donaghadee son of John Keenan; aged 35 married Ann McConnell 4 Nov 1850 in Newtownards; father of Henry b. 4 Dec 1867 (regd. Donaghadee) CR
Robert    KEENAN . Donaghadee of Ballyhay; husband of Ellen McMillen; father of James b. 27 May 1871 & Robert & Sarah & Agnes & Margaret Ann; died 17 Feb 1882; buried Donaghadee graveyard   CR; MIs
I omitted the Griffiths valuation for Robert as previously mentioned.

Under her heading Churches,  in Donaghadee civil parish, she lists her knowledge of church records, which are usually different to PRONI Listings

Millisle Presbyterian Church 17 Ballywalter Rd, Millisle village, Ballymacruise townland
records from 1773; baptisms from 1773 , marriages from 1838; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 16, oldest stone 1850; photo in Vol 16; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up;
also try http://www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/index.htm
For gravestone photos try http://www.graves1.homecall.co.uk/Millisle/FrameSet.htm
References; HCPCI p195; V7 p 51 OSM; POD; GIPR; V16 MIs;GIC
Millisle Seceeders Presbyterian Church in the village in Ballycopeland townland
North of Ireland FHS (www.nifhs.org) has baptisms1773 -1930 & marriages 1838 -1936; the Presbyterian Historical Society has Baptisms, 1773–1818
( http://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com/index.php?id=44) ; graveyard attached; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 15, oldest stone 1847; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up; also try http://www.bangor.homecall.co.uk/index.htm
For gravestone photos try- http://www.graves.homecall.co.uk/Ballycopeland/index.htm
References; V7 p 49 OSM ; GIC; V17 MIs
To email Ros Davies, send an email to daviesmarneratgmail.com first changing the at to the symbol
Carrowdore Presbyterian Church on a small road near the castle in Ballyrawer townland
Baptisms from 1873, marriages from 1846 & burials from 1875; North of Ireland FHS (www.nifs.org) has baptisms 1861-1940 & marriages 1845-1936; gravestones UHF Vol 14; photo in Vol 14; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up

http://www.carrowdore-ballyfrenis.org
PRONI see http://www.proni.gov.uk/ then find online church records section guide. you can download  this pdf file easily.
P. Millisle
Baptisms, 1773-1941; marriages, 1845-1936; marriage
notice books, 1845-1941; list of elders and members of
the congregation, 1777; call to the Rev. Hanna signed
by 82 members of the congregation, 1815.
MIC1P/230/7; This means you must call in person or employ someone etc.

I think an email to  Ros Davies then NIFHS who have volunteers to help their members. A letter or email to  to the Presbyterian Historical Records
So good luck and keep going JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 July 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in replying I have been out of circulation for a while. I think I have exhausted all the on-line records As far as the tombstones at Millisle I visited the churchyard many years ago and the Keenan tombstones there are not listed for some reason. I have tried the Ulster H F site and they do not go back as far to the one I know, our Roberts baptism, As far as the Ros Davies site I have found a mention of our Keenan's but they do not help me with the siblings of Robert until I find their names.
I guess as I am a fair bit too old to come back and I may have to employ a professional researcher the only problem being they charge like wounded bulls!
Any how thank you for your replies I will now have a good ponder   Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fadge36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 July 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
May be of interest. A Robert Keenan, farmer of Ballyhay, Co Down died 17 Feb 1882 aged 61.
You can view his will on PRONI. His wife was Ellen.
Ballyhay is near Millisle.
There are graveyards at both Millisle Presb. and at Ballycopeland about 1 mile away.
Fadge

Offline marric54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 16 12:34 BST (UK) »
I have just come across your 2015 request regarding information about graves in Millisle and Ballycopeland Presbyterian Church.  The church website has a section showing pictures of old gravestones in Millisle, Ballycopeland and also Templepatrick.  A fella Keenan I know says his ancestors came from the Ballywalter area.  Hope this might be of help.  I live beside the Millisle graveyard.  Mary

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 20:27 BST (UK) »
Anyone got any information about a Sandy Houston who was from Millisle area and  - to the best of my knowledge - was a minister at Millisle Presbyterian Church? Sandy ( a bachelor) died a few years ago at Seaview Nursing Home but, due to 50 year data protection, I cannot access any records/information from there. Thank you.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
try emailing the presbyterian historical society belfast
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide