Author Topic: Looking for family of John MCKEON (born June 1838 Drumgoon, Co. Cavan, Ireland)  (Read 5388 times)

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I am the gr. gr. grand-daughter of John MCKEON (married Lucy Ann Whitfield 29 Jan 1864 in Durham, Eng. - found via FREE BMD).  John MCKEON was born June 1838 in Co. Cavan and his baptism record (I believe I have the correct one) is from the Parish Drumgoon in Co. Cavan. The baptism record shows his parents as John MCKEON & Mary PORTER (informants listed as Arthur MCGUIRK & Mary SMYTH but no sponsors).
I am currently searching for John MCKEON's parents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.

Here is some information regarding John MCKEON and his wife Lucy (Whitfield):
They had several children (only one, that I know of, didn't make it to adulthood) and lived in Tudhoe, Durham, Eng. John MCKEON died 7 Apr. 1908 and Lucy Ann (Whitfield) McKeon died 3 Oct. 1897 (born 13 Feb. 1843 Trimdon, Durham, Eng. - parents: Anthony Atkinson Whitfield and Mary Hart).  Lucy and John MCKEON ran the Fountain Hotel, Consett, Durham, Eng. and Lucy died in the hotel a few days before they were to retire.  John MCKEON was a Constable in Tudhoe, Durham, Eng.

I believe John McKeon immigrated before the 1861 census to Eng. (haven't found him on a prior census) I did find him in Chilton, Durham, Eng. on the 1861 census (he was listed as 23 years old). I don't know which port, in Ireland, he left from and have had a few leads on his parents and siblings but nothing solid.

Does anyone have any information for my John MCKEON (baptised 1 July 1838, Parish Drumgoon, Co. Cavan and immigrated prior to 1861 census in Chilton, Durham, Eng.)?
Regards,
Alexandra

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Drumgoon C of I Parish?
Drumgoon RC Parish?

If RC then registers are coming on line, free,  in just over a week.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just want to point out that there really wasn't any 'immigration' involved- it was simply moving from one part of the U.K. to another. Thus, no records were kept of people travelling from Ireland to England, Scotland and Wales.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi,
@ aghadowey:  Thanks for clarification on "immigration" ... reading my post now and realize I used incorrect term.  What I'm looking for is where might there be records of travel from Ireland to England (or are there records)?

@Hallmark: The birth cert. I have says Roman Catholic Parish but doesn't say in which church the baptism was held.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for letting me know RC records will be available online soon.  Will they be available here on Roots or another site? Am chomping at the bit (so to speak) to find out more info.

Thank you both for replying,
Alexandra

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
8th July is due release date, not sure of exact web link they will be on yet.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
As I already mentioned, no records were kept of people travelling between Ireland and England, Scotland and Wales.

The birth cert. I have says Roman Catholic Parish but doesn't say in which church the baptism was held.
The baptism would have taken place in the Parish (Catholic) Church.
http://www.kilmorediocese.ie/diocese/parishes/29-drumgoon
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
@Hallmark: Thanks for the link! Bookmarked and will check back around the 8th to see if there are any updates there.

@aghadowey: Thank you!  I'll look at that link for the diocese.

Regards,
Alexandra

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Alexander

How do you know that you have the correct baptism ?

Did you already have both his parent's names BEFORE you started looking for the baptism ?

Tara