Author Topic: Looking for family of John MCKEON (born June 1838 Drumgoon, Co. Cavan, Ireland)  (Read 5385 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oooops Alexandra   ;D

Tara

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of John MCKEON (born June 1838 Drumgoon, Co. Cavan, Ireland)
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
I am 99% sure I have the correct baptism record.
Why do you ask?  Do you know anything about this John McKeon?

Regards,
Alexandra (not alexander lol)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of John MCKEON (born June 1838 Drumgoon, Co. Cavan, Ireland)
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi There

You would only know that you had the correct baptism by knowing both his parent's names prior to searching, and knowing what town land in Ireland he came from.

I am just worried that you may have found A baptism and are presuming that it is for your ancestor.

If you got it on rootsireland, not all churches are on it, not all churches go back as far as you are looking for.

There are missing years and mistranscriptions etc to account for more missing records.

I just hope you aren't running with the first record you found.

Hope that makes sense !

Tara

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
I spent many months narrowing down and cross-referencing and I do hope I have the correct baptism record! I have never known what John's mothers name is ... that is my only concern.  Perhaps I should double check church records for John and his family (in Durham) to see if they attended a RC church or not, but then again they could have switched to Anglican  :P lol

My cousin (Robert - he's been researching the family for decades) is John MCKEON's grandson who told me John was born in Co. Cavan (Drumgoon) 1838-39, census confirms birth year 1838 in the 1861-1901 census (and if memory serves 1 of the census said either Drumgoon or Co. Cavan as place of birth - I'd have to look), and FreeBMD also confirms birth year. I found the only baptism record in Drumgoon for a John MCKEON in 1838 via rootsireland.ie. Additionally, my paternal grandfather was John MCKEON's grandson and he wrote up our family history back in the late 1970's thru mid 1980's, however, he was only able to write about his maternal grandfather (John McKeon) from his mother's recollections (he had much more success with his paternal line).
I might be on the wrong trail but it's the most solid trail I have right now (been working on this one family member for 1.5 years).
Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help. :)
Alexandra

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
http://cavan.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

If you do have a census that says he was from Dromgoon in Cavan then that is a great starting point. 

Dromgoon's records go quite far back (well, good for Irish records) so that's a plus.

Well, that's for RC and COI.

Was John one if these religions and does the record match that ?

Did John have daughters ?

If so, what were their names and date orders ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/cavan/drumgoon.htm

McKeon & Porters in Drumgoon GV.

What did John give as his father's occupation on his marriage cert ?

Tara

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,
Yes, John and Lucy (Whitfield) McKeon had several daughters and sons. (all born in Durham Co., Eng.) Not sure how their names will help; please advise.

I do not have a copy of the marriage certificate I verified the marriage date at FreeBMD with what my grandfather had written.  Just checked FreeBMD and the only image they have is a list of marriages performed, dates, names, counties etc.  Looking to see how I go about getting actual copy of certificate.

-have to run out for a few hours. will check back later or tomorrow morning-

Alexandra

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was a strong naming pattern in Irish families, so by looking at John's daughter's names in order gives great leads.

If you are working with the correct baptism then I would expect Johns first or second daughter to be called Mary.

The marriage cert will have John's father's occupation on it.

This will help look for the family in Ireland.

Also I would advise you to confirm where the Drumgoon reference came from.

Tara

Offline McKeonFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/cavan/drumgoon.htm

McKeon & Porters in Drumgoon GV.

Thanks Tara! :)
I'll check out the link once I get home.
Alexandra

What did John give as his father's occupation on his marriage cert ?

Tara