Author Topic: Margret Jane Blair  (Read 4744 times)

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margret Jane Blair
« on: Tuesday 30 June 15 04:49 BST (UK) »
The abovementioned is mentioned as being born in COOKSTOWN Northern Ireland about 1859 and her headstone of her death age 73 in 1933 at Sandgate Brisbane would indicate her birth date as being correct,however her census of 1901/1911 and her age on the ship's manifest would indicate she was abouth 3years younger.
      Her parents were JAMES BLAIR and SARAH JANE MCLERNON would had 4 other children but there is no mention of MJ BLAIR being connected to any of  them.
      Two of these children migrated to Brisbane and MARGRET JANE BLAIR'smarried name was STEWART.
      I have tried everywhere  including church records for the COOKSTOWN area but no result,hope somebody can help!..Medusa :'(

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margret Jane Blair
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   James Blair married Sarah Jane McClernon in Ballyscullion Church of Ireland, Magherafelt District on 9 Apr 1859

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hello there Kingskerswell,
               Yes I know of the marriage and the other children..no problem but I cannot seem to connect MJ BLAIR by birth to either JAMES BLAIR / SARAH JANE MCLERNON or the children...no census for that period of time...thanks anyway..Medusa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 09:10 BST (UK) »
The abovementioned is mentioned as being born in COOKSTOWN Northern Ireland about 1859 and her headstone of her death age 73 in 1933 at Sandgate Brisbane would indicate her birth date as being correct,however her census of 1901/1911 and her age on the ship's manifest would indicate she was abouth 3years younger.
      Her parents were JAMES BLAIR and SARAH JANE MCLERNON would had 4 other children but there is no mention of MJ BLAIR being connected to any of  them.
      Two of these children migrated to Brisbane and MARGRET JANE BLAIR'smarried name was STEWART.
      I have tried everywhere  including church records for the COOKSTOWN area but no result,hope somebody can help!

Where does Cookstown as her birthplace come from? How do you know her parents' names? Where did her husband come from?

There certainly was a James Blair who married a Sarah Jane McLernon in Oldtown/Bellaghy district of Co. Derry (see marriage that kingskerswell found). There are 5 children listed in the online extracted Irish births but since birth registration only started in 1864 and James & Sarah married in 1859 there are likely at least several older children.
1.   William James (1868) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5K5-1W5
2.   Alexander Crawford (1870) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FP1Z-5V4
3.   Joseph (1872) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5F3-XFP
4.   Isabella (1874) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPMY-T8M
5.   Adeline Henrietta Caroline (1877) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGVF-W2R

Based on the marriage and births it looks as though the family were not in Co Tyrone so you need to check for church records in Bellaghy area to see if there was a daughter Margaret Jane. Any idea what religion would the family have been?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response AG,MJ BLAIR's birth year and place appear on an ANCESTRY .COM historical siteas well as JAMES BLAIR and SARAH JANE MCLERNON.
                    The parents names also appear for MARGRET JANE,her brothers ALEXANDER CRAWFORD and ROBERT JAMES [?] on the historical deaths site at the Queensland Government!
                   MARGRET JANE's husband was JOHN STEWART from Scotland[surprise,surprise!] who were married Ireland/Scotland..?their oldest son JOHN ALEXANDER is listed in the 1901 census as being born in Scotland...JOHN STEWART[father] MARGRET JANE about 1900 to raise the 9 children on her own...never saw him again.
                   By the way I have a birth record of SARAH MATILDA BLAIR b 12/2/1880 Oldtown Londonderry ,born to JAMES BLAIR and SARAH BLAIR MCLERNON..another sibling?
                   I have tried for several hours to latch on to CHURCH OF IRELAND records at Ballyscullion/Bellaghy,but no luck..will try again tomorrow..Medusa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
MJ BLAIR's birth year and place appear on an ANCESTRY .COM historical siteas well as JAMES BLAIR and SARAH JANE MCLERNON.
An online record on Ancestry is not a proof. A baptism, record from a certificate or family Bible, etc.- those are sources.

I have found other children- Robert born 5 Mar.1866 Bellaghy district- as well as Sarah Matilda (1880) that you mention.

Looks like daughter Adeline Henrietta Caroline (1877) might have died in America? Adeline Martin (mother McClaron) died 24 Sept.1907 Willistown, Chester, Pennsylvania- even though birth given as March 1899 (instead of March 1880). Informant George Martin (husband?).

I have tried for several hours to latch on to CHURCH OF IRELAND records at Ballyscullion/Bellaghy,but no luck..
Not sure where you are trying to find records online or why Church of Ireland- don't think you've mentioned religion before? Maghera Genealogy has some Church of Ireland records but for Ballyscullion there are only 2 marriages.

their oldest son JOHN ALEXANDER is listed in the 1901 census as being born in Scotland
Scottish birth certificates for most years show date and place of parents' marriage so this should have been one of the first things for you to check. If they did get married in Scotland then the certificate should list names of both sets of parents. If the marriage took place in Irelnad there will be less detail on the certificate but still good clues to tracing the family in Ireland.

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,Hi I never take online records as gospel ,that is why I am going on this mad journey!
                 ALEXANDER CRAWFORD BLAIR and ROBERT JAMES BLAIR were the two who migrated to Brisbane and I am assuming MARGRET JANE's religion was Church of Ireland as it is listed in both  the 1901/1911 census.
                 I have checked the Scotish births several times and have come up with many JOHNs-ALEXANDERs-ALEXANDER JOHNs and JOHN ALEXANDERs not to mention how many JOHN STEWART's there are ....but no MARGRET JANE BLAIR which makes me think that MARGARET JANE was not JOHN ALEXANDER's mother.
                  There is of course a few STEWART/BLAIR marriages in Northern Ireland between 1880-1887 in various districts..Medusa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 July 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
You've mentioned the 1901 and 1911 census records for Margaret Jane Stewart several times- can you please post the link to census pages.