Author Topic: Crime in Liverpool  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Crime in Liverpool
« on: Tuesday 30 June 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
For years I've been trying to find information about Henry Austin HASE who was born in Weston-super-Mare in 1857.  In 1870 he was sentenced to 5 years on board the Training Ship Formidable at Portishead and I haven't been able to find about what happened to him after that. (Their records have not survived for that period).
Last weekend Findmypast published some Criminal Records which included Henry Austin HASE being accused in Liverpool of receiving stolen goods in 1875.  He was found not guilty.  He is described as a barman and 21 years old (the age doesn't quite match but the name does). 
There is a Henry HASE of the correct age but born in New York in Liverpool on the 1881 census - is that the same man?
Any suggestions? - Thanks for reading this

Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crime in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
I think it's the same man he's recorded as Henry Austin Hase, OS (Ordinary Seaman), on the ship Carpathian in 1876 (Liverpool Crew Lists on Ancestry), he's a ship's steward on the 1881 Census in Liverpool, the Liverpool Mercury newspaper article dated 30 Jul 1875 gives his full name as Henry Austin Hase, 19 years of age. A criminal past could explain the change of birth place details perhaps inspired by a genuine relocation to the USA after his release or just a brief stay there.

Blue

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much - I hadn't realised that the Liverpool Crew lists were on Ancestry.  The Liverpool Mercury for 1875 doesn't appear to be covered on the British Newspaper Archive - so I'm really pleased that you have been able to look it up - thank you. Where did you find it?
The American birth place is interesting because there is a family story that he lived in San Francisco.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 00:30 BST (UK) »
I can access 19th century newspapers using my Lancs library card perhaps your local library has the same access? I could only find a mention of him being charged not where he was later found not guilty. Not all cases are covered the newspaper covers some and gives stats to cover the other cases.

Blue

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi phh and blue,  Anyone residing in the UK can join Lancashire Library and access their online newspapers (I have been a member for a few years and live in the West Midlands).

See here, click join a library on the right hand side.  I think it asks which library in Lancashire you wish to join, just click any, it doesn't matter which one.  They will send you a card in the post with your login.
http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/libraries/digital-library.aspx

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 01:32 BST (UK) »
And now I've discovered something else - although the Liverpool Mercury for 1874 and 1875 is not included in the British Newspaper Archives (other years are there) those years are included in the 19th Century Newspapers - which I often use with my library ticket.  Thanks for that.  The 27th August 1875 edition does give the result of the case with the acquittal for Henry Austin HASE (I actually searched for John REDDY who was accused of the theft).  Thank you all.