Author Topic: Berkshire Constabulary photo id  (Read 2942 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Berkshire Constabulary photo id
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 02:37 BST (UK) »
I have a picture postcard showing a group of Berkshire Constabulary officers. There is nothing written on the back. I sent it the Thames Valley Police museum and all they could say was that it was a group of B.C. officers. I have several family members who served with the B.C. George Gould served 1869-189?, Thomas Gould 187?-190? and George Penstone Gould 1911-1915.

I have no photo of my relatives so cannot place them in the photo. If anybody has an idea of where, when or even "fingers crossed" who is in photo would be useful.

I do have higher quality version and can read the collar numbers.

People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Constabulary photo id
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 07:32 BST (UK) »
Many of them seem to be wearing what look like Great War medals. These were issued post war so that gives you a start to dating. I'm not a medal expert so someone might come along with more detail.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Just a thought.  As you have the collar numbers.  Have you contacted the Thames Valley force to see if they know who may hold the records of old Berkshire warrant numbers issued? May be more help than the Museum.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
I had initially sent my photo to Thames Valley Police communications office, they forwarded it to their museum. The museum said that their records were quite limited on past members.

I hadn't clued in on the medals. You are right. That would date it 1918-1920's. I have vague information that a Leslie Gould may have joined the force post war.

Thank you
Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
I thought the Berks Constabulary records were in the Berkshire Record Office - though, if so, I would have expected the Museum to tell you so.  Must be worth contacting the BRO and asking.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
I did get some hits through National Archives that referred back to Berks Record office. They turned out to be the listings of examination books which confirmed that a Leslie Philip Gould did join the Berkshire Constabulary in 1920. This may be the ancestor shown in the group photo. His war record indicates he received 2 medals and was 5' 5" tall. His age would be 20. So my initial guess is that he is in the middle row, fourth from the right.

If there was a way to match collar number with a name I could confirm this ID.

Thank you Brian

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
Online access to the BRO holdings is a tip of the iceberg affair.  Their catalogue shows 48 volumes, 18 bundles and 8 documents under the catalogue entry Q/AP. I suspect that you need to see the contents of one of those 48 volumes - but I fear that the only way to get more detail is by contacting them or going there.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
I fear you are correct Newburychap. I am in Canada, so in person is out of the question. I will see if I can get any hits from the name and digital records.

Brian in 36C heat Oliver, BC Canada