Author Topic: Street Query - Dollar  (Read 8381 times)

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Street Query - Dollar
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I've come across a death cert for my GGG Grandmother who died in Dollar in 1888.

The cert. shows her passing away in a street which looks like "Ballarat Place, Dollar". However, I can find no record of this place existing...

Can anyone help...?

Also, in the 1881 Census she is listed as residing in a house named Burmah, Dollar (where she is a Housekeeper). Again, any assistance would be appreciated.

Dougie.
Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Street Query - Dollar
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Bloosman!  Can you give us some names please, and I'm sure someone will be able to help!  I see you say "from her cert". 

It's ok to post extracts from the cert on here, just not the complete actual document itself!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Have a look here: http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=89730299&mode=transcription

Scroll down the transcribed list and Ballarat Place appears a few times.

Anne

Offline Bloosman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there, and thanks for the quick response...

Yes, I see that Ballarat Place does indeed appear on a number of occasions Anne...I'll just have to try and find out where it was now... ;)

As for person details:

Mary Gullen (ms. Ritchie), b.25/03/1808 @ Kinnoul, Perthshire. Married to Andrew Gullen, b.23/04/1820 @ Perth.

Forgan, Annan, Cadden, Garland, Pratt, Douglas, McMann, Murray, Gillan...

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Clackmannanshire Burial Records are available to view online, see: http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/burialrecords/

The above link should take you directly to all the Gullens listed although they all seem to be much later.

Anne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Dougie and Anne  :)

An 1861 map of Dollar here which may help http://maps.nls.uk/view/74479296

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:32 BST (UK) »

Also, in the 1881 Census she is listed as residing in a house named Burmah, Dollar (where she is a Housekeeper). Again, any assistance would be appreciated.

Not sure if the same. There is a link (won't open unfortunately) to a property referred to Burmah Cottage, 32 Dewar Street, Dollar, FK14 7ER. Looks to be a property sale and particulars I think.

Something to follow up on hopefully...Looking at streetview, many cottages look original so have a look around.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:47 BST (UK) »
If you key in '32 Dewar Street, Dollar' into your browser, choose (Google) maps, choose 'satellite view', then take the wee yellow man a walk along the street.

You'll see lots of cottages maybe one of those was originally 'Burmah Cottage'.

Have you thought about looking at Valuation Rolls to see who the proprietor/tenant at that property/address was? They are searchable by surname, so something might tie up?

Anne

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Dougie,
     I wonder if Ballarat Place, Dollar is a House rather than a Street.
     On the 1891 Census, Dollar, there are several families living in Achilton Road, Dollar (Achilton may be an Anc**try transcription error for Ochilton) However, 2 families live at Balariet Place, Achilton Road. Agnes Thomson, age 46, (Household Schedule No. 68) & Jessie Harvie, 49, (Household Schedule No. 69) 1881 Census, Jessie Harvie's address is Ballarat, Dollar. 1901 Census, Jessie Harvey's address is Balarat R, Brickwork Rd., Dollar.
     Ochilton Road (now named Devon Road) runs south from Bridge Street, past Ochilton on this OS Six Inch, 1888 - 1913 Map.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=56.1619&lon=-3.6762&layers=6

Slide the Blue dot on the bottom left of screen for an up-to-date satellite over-view. Or, click on Side by Side towards top of screen. You'll notice most of the streets in Dollar have been renamed!!
     You can also change the maps by clicking on 'Select a map/map series' on left of screen. The OS Six Inch 1843 -1882 Map is very similar to the map which 'MonicaL' posted. (Just love the nls site)

The other reason I thought Ballarat may be a house (2 at least) is from information about the Dollar WW1 War Memorial.
               www.warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic5780.html

The 2nd name on Page 2 is Robert Sinclair Dickson, 6th Battalionn, Australian Infantry. Son of James & Georgina Sinclair Dickson, of "Ballarat," Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
     3rd name, Page 2 is Peter Dudgeon, 4th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders. Son of George & Elsie Dudgeon, of Ochilton Rd., Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
     4th name, Page 2 is Robert Eadie, 9th Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Son of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Eadie, of Ballarat, Dollar, Clackmannanshire.
     Both Ballarat & Ochilton Road mentioned but not together, however, there was a Ballarat in Dollar as late 1918/19. Almost within living memory. Someone in Dollar will have the answer to this mystery.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."