Author Topic: A marriage age of 15 in 1847 - Realistic or not?  (Read 7948 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A marriage age of 15 in 1847 - Realistic or not?
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a situation where my Great Grandmother, Emma Glossop, who was born in 1832, married my Great Grandfather, George Flint (bn. 1827), in 1847, when Emma would have been about 15. Would it have been likely that someone of that age would have been able to marry?

The situation is 'complicated' by the fact that Emma appears to have given birth to a son, John Flint, in 1846, before she married George, when she would only have been 14.

Son John, carried the name of Flint, seemingly on every Census I have looked at, allthough he was not baptised it would appear till 30th January 1848.

There may well have been embarassment over having given birth at such a very young age, and an element of the parents 'having' to marry when it was practical to do so.

Emma Glossop was born in Holloway, or at least that part which was in the Parish of Crich at the time. George, the apparent father, was born in Wessington, but the family later moved to Wakebridge, again in Crich Parish.

The wedding in 1847, and the baptism in 1848, both took place at Crich.

Various census records that I have looked at, if you calculate the birth date by using the Census year put John's birth year at 1847, 1848, or even on one Census 1849. But I presume that John must have known his actual birth year, because on his gravestone in the churchyard at Christ Church, Wessington, it does say 1846.

So there we have it, a bit of a mystery, but I would be intrigued to learn more about the apparent age at the time of the birth/marriage, and whether such a thing was ever possible.

Regards,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A marriage age of 15 in 1847 - Realistic or not?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 09:43 BST (UK) »
Marriages were legal for girls as young as 12, and boys as young as 14, until 1929 when the marriage age was raised to 16. However parental consent was required for the marriage to be fully legal if they were under 21.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
   According to marriage entry (Freereg) Emma's father Wlm Glossop -occupation -mason

does this tie up with her baptism/1841 census?

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
I have a situation in my tree of a girl marrying at 13. It was eventually disputed because , through separation, her mother had taken her to Encounter Bay and the grandmother had given consent. Even though in law the father was the only one able to give consent as he was still alive and living in the same abode.

Went through court and the father won. Eventually the young girl met someone else and it was only until they were both in their 50s did they marry - in Victoria, after having  8 children.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
As has been said above, it was legal and there are instances (particularly in the 1700s).

But you asked "would it have been likely?". Experience suggests that, in England in the mid-1800s, having a child at 14 and marrying at 15 was uncommon. That said, it cannot be ruled out.

Perhaps more likely is that Emma's reported age is in error. What actual evidence do you have for her year of birth? She might have been baptised late, and/or ages given in the census and/or at death may be unreliable.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
She was born pre-certification, so no accurate means of determining age. Kids in Scotland could marry at 16 without parental consent, still can.

Skoosh.

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 11:00 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Thanks for the replies thus far, and for clarifying the legality of being able to marry at such a young age, in 1847.

Yes, William, Emma's father, was a stonemason.

Her age on the 1841 Census is given as 10, but as we know there was an element of 'rounding' on the 1841.

The 1851 gives her age as 20, which implies a birth in 1831.

The 1861 gives her age as 30, which implies a birth in 1831.

And similarly with the 1871 and 1881 Census for Crich Parish which implies a birth in 1831, but ....

Her age at death, in 1888, which was recorded as 56, implies a birth in 1832, or thereabouts. There is no gravestone marking her grave, so I cannot look on that for a birth date.

Emma Glossop was baptised on the 7th April 1833, at St. Mary's Church, in Crich. So that does possiby tie in with a birth in 1832.

Regards,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
What age does she give on her marriage certificate?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
The image of the marriage certificate is on FamilySearch.  Just says "minor" for bride and groom ....

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/DGS-004452251_00346?cc=1911752&wc=34JX-PTT:1581159903,1581163301,1581163308
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)