Author Topic: John McMillan wife Annie Young farmer in County Antrim approx 1800  (Read 3598 times)

Offline ladywell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McMillan wife Annie Young farmer in County Antrim approx 1800
« on: Wednesday 01 July 15 21:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking for John McMillan his wife Annie Young.  John farmed in County Antrim around the turn of 1800.  they had at least two boys one Archibald and one William.  Can you help me find them?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John McMillan wife Annie Young farmer in County Antrim approx 1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
I am looking for John McMillan his wife Annie Young.  John farmed in County Antrim around the turn of 1800.  they had at least two boys one Archibald and one William.  Can you help me find them?
Hello & welcome to rootschat. www.nationalarchives.ie has census records for Antrim but the only entry I can see is in 1851 for a John McMullan & family in Tickmacrevan Lower Glenarm Antrim . Same site has Griffith valuation records & several entries (49) for McMillans but you would need to know the Parish they came from.  Do you have any other info i.e marriage etc which may show their parents names. :)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
I sensed that these relatives might have emigrated as you  know so little of the irish locations other than Co Antrim. 
1796 source for Flax growers in Ireland gives
No McMillan or McMillen
Young                 James                   Ballyrashane          Antrim
Young                 John                      Dunaghy               Antrim
Young                 William                 Derrykeighan          Antrim

1823-1840 the tithes applotment Books are on line by civil parish.  I decided to search just those parishes in Griffiths valuation where both McMillan and Young were both in the same parish. There are 6 such parishes and that seemed the best gamble to quickly find the links.

Ballymoney
no McMillan
Young, Charles Townland: Carnanreagh Year: 1825
Young, Robert Townland: Ballynamoney Year: 1825
Young, Robert Townland: Lislagaw Year: 1825
Young, Robert Townland: Millquarter Year: 1825
Young, Robert Townland: Newhill Year: 1825
Young, Samuel Townland: Ballynamoney Year: 1825
Young, Widow Townland: Ballynamoney Year: 1825
Young, Wm. Townland: Stranocum Year: 1825

Carnmoney  no McMillan yes McMullan, no Young

Carrickfergus no McMillan, no Young

Killead no McMillan yes McMullan Young, Samuel Townland: Ballymather Year: 1827

Shankill ie Belfast Co Antrim   None

Templepatrick the same townland Craigarogan none

Tickmacrevan Lower Glenarm Antrim as suggested by Ballydw
no McMillan , no McMullan no Young
So that was all disappointing, so I tried the flax growers list of parishes
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/derrykeighan-parish.php#.VZa2fkuDoYU  No to McMillan yes toMcMullon and Young
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/dunaghy-parish.php#.VZa3eEuDoYU  no McMillan yes McMullan, and no Young
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/ballyrashane-parish.php#.VZa4hkuDoYU no McMillan yes McMullan, and Young
So more disappointment for a quick solution.
I haven’t the time to go through the tithes for Tyrone civil parish, but it remains a possible source for you.
So make what you can of it . it looks like you may do the Young tree easier than McMillan
Has anyone else done the family history
Good luck jimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline J Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am also looking for information on John, his son Archie was my great great grandfather, did you manage to get any other information on him, I have hit a stone wall.
 I have a death certificate for Archie which states his father was John  a farmer from Co.Arntrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) Unfortunately, you and the original poster haven't given us all the information that you've already found so that we can try to help you.

Since the son Archie was your ancestor, let's start with him. Where and when did he die (not in Ireland, it seems)? when was he born (even approx. would help) and when did he leave Ireland?
What is known about his brother?

In order to find the family in Ireland you'll probably need a more exact location than 'Co. Antrim' (parish if not actual townland) for such common Ulster surnames as McMillan and Young. Another bit of bad news is that they might even have come from an adjoining county.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
sorry cant find birth certificates for any of them archibald was born 1827 or 1830 as birth of his son recorded in Cleland Shotts Lanarkshire in 1855 and is recorded as being 25  1861 census records him as 34, he lived and worked in Cleland when he came to scotland, his brother william appears on 1861 census he was 22 also from Ireland archie married in 1850 and died in1882 he was married to Agnes Buchanan born in Campsie, Stirlingshire he is recorded as an Ironstone miner from Ireland and his father was John mother was Anne, Farmers from Co.Antrim, sorry no more information than that

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 18:46 GMT (UK) »
There won't be a birth certificate for Archie (or any siblings)- civil registration of births (and deaths) didn't start until 1864 non-Catholic marriages from 1845 but Catholic marriages from 1864).
Another thing to consisder, if you do find any likelyy records, are variations of Anne such as Agnes & Hannah.

Offline J Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 19:13 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your reply, I have come to the end of the search then as John was dead when Archie and Agnes got married, oh well it was worth a go, thanks again for all your help

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Don't give up too quickly  :)

Have you traced the brothers in all possible census records? checked for possible relatives living nearby? checked newspapers to see if a place of origin is mentioned?
Traced all branches of the family and contacted living relatives to see if they have other details or artifacts that might help?
What religion were the family? have you checked church records? gravestones?

Rootschatters are very good at finding information from a wide variety of resources so keep checking to see if anyone else posts here with clues or ideas.